Thread: Flg Off Frederick Scott WILLS, RAFVR - 60114

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Default Flg Off Frederick Scott WILLS, RAFVR - 60114

Am hoping to track down the logbook of the above 206 Sqn pilot.

Can anyone please get me started on a family search with his date and place of birth?

Robert

Thanks

Robert,
    Frederick Scott WILLS
    b. 6 May 1918 Reg Tynemouth 10b 354 (MMS Scott) (Lot of Wills/Scott marriages around this time!!)
    d. 24 Nov 1990 Reg Richmond-on-Thames 14 1503 (Copy of the DC will give The Informant)
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 27th December 2019 at 07:15. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks, Peter.

Robert

Thanks

Robert

I'm not sure if you already have all the following information, but in case you don't:

His D.F.C. award was reported in the Newcastle Journal & North Mail of Tuesday May 25th 1943:

U-BOAT HUNTERS HONOURED
    U-boat hunters and raiders of enemy shipping figure prominently in a list of more than 80 R.A.F. awards announced to-day.
    Flight-Lieut. F. S. Wills (24), of Wallsend, is also awarded the D.F.C.
    Described in the official citation as “an excellent leader and captain of aircraft,” he has been engaged in many sea patrols. Flight-Lieut. Wills was a reporter with Newcastle Chronicle, Ltd., at Chester-le-Street and Durham.
    In July, 1941, he successfully attacked a U-boat in the Bay of Biscay – five days later he sighted and remained with the crew of a dinghy off the French coast until they were reached by a Sunderland. In December, 1941, on the way to Iceland, he made a low-level machine gun attack on a surfaced enemy submarine.

And also in Flight Magazine, July 8th 1943:

Fit. Lt. F. S. WILLS,
    No. 206 Sqn.
    Fit. Lt. Wills, an excellent leader and captain of aircraft, has taken part in a large number of sea patrols. In July, 1941, he successfully attacked a U-boat in the Bay of Biscay: five days later he sighted and remained with the crew of a Hudson aircraft in a dinghy off the French coast until they were reached by a Sunderland aircraft.
    In December 1941, whilst on the way to Iceland, this officer made a low level machine gun attack on a surfaced enemy submarine.

The 206 Sqn ORB has the following:

4th July 1941

ORB Form 541:
    Hudson I N7318 VX-W
    A/S Patrol. 2 x He-115’s reported. Attack on U-Boat
    Up: 12.50
    Down: 19.45
    P/O Wills
    Sgt Parker
    Sgt Shaw
    Sgt Barnes

and from the ORB Form 540:
    18.45:
    “W” reported two He 115’s – took avoiding action
    “W” attack on U-Boat with three depth charges – probable hit.

and

9th July 1941

Form 541:
    Hudson V AM606 VX-M

Cross over A/S “G” patrol. Sighted dinghy containing crew of B/206. Observed Sunderland alight and pick up crew.
    Up: 10.15
    Down: 18.20
    P/O Wills
    Sgt Parker
    Sgt Barnes
    Sgt Shaw

and from the ORB Form 540:
    16.00 - on 9th July, Hudson “M” sighted a dinghy containing the crew of Hudson “B”. Sunderland landed and picked up crew of “B”, but damaged port engine on alighting.
    01.00 – on 10th July crew of B/206 and Sunderland picked up by two destroyers – Sunderland was sunk by gunfire. The two destroyers returned to port.

December 11th 1941

ORB form 540 and 541:
    Hudson AM785 VX-C
    Attacked u-boat with front guns south-west of Faeroes.

See also: http://www.coastalcommand206.com/historical-manuscript

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 27th December 2019 at 17:13. Reason: added December 11th 1941 ORB details

Thanks

Many thanks, Simon. Kind of you to look up and reproduce so much material.

I have no expertise in tracking down offspring via Ancestry etc but a friend who does is doing just that based on what Peter provided.

A Happy New Year to you.

Robert

Thanks

No problem Robert - it's all copied and pasted from a Word file about him in my 'local airmen' folder, so no great hardship!

Good luck with your research - I'd be interested to hear what you might find out, if it's not too much trouble.

Regards

Simno

Thanks

Will do, Simon.

Have been trying to pin down three 'missing' Coastal Command Fortress code letters. Have just found one for a 59 Sqn aircraft, another 59 Sqn example was involved in a ground collision after only two weeks on strength and prior to ops starting so that one may never be revealed unless I can find the logbook for a crew member, and the third may be in Wills' logbook. He was captain when the Fortress struck a moving Hurricane's propeller while landing at Hawarden en route to Hamble. Although the Fortress is documented on the Form 78 as being assigned to 206 Sqn at the time it never flew any ops with the unit so didn't make the ORB. I suspect Wills had been assigned to ferry it to AST at Hamble for pre-service modifications before it came on strength, if indeed it ever did - he had 200 hours on type operating out of Benbecula. So... if it had been at least on strength with 206 Sqn and I can find his logbook then I might unearth a code.

Ah, the thrill of the chase!

Robert