Thread: loss info needed on 57 Squadron Lancaster ND786, 26-27 April 1944 Schweinfurt raid

Thanks

Default loss info needed on 57 Squadron Lancaster ND786, 26-27 April 1944 Schweinfurt raid

Dear all,

Who can help me with additional details on the loss of 57 Squadron Lancaster ND786 during the 26-27 April 1944 Schweinfurt raid? The basic details that I have is that it was shot down by a night fighter and crashed near Miltenberg, SW of Wertheim am Main. Two of the crew (F/Sgt Garry and F/O Connor) survived; are their survivors accounts available? And is there any info on where the night fighter attack occurred and on the time of crash of ND786?

Cheers and thanks for any details, Theo

Thanks

Hello Theo,

For what it is worth here is my entry in Vol Two of 'For Your Tomorrow':

Raid on Schweinfurt, Germany (206 Lancasters & 11 Mosquitoes - 21 lost)
    57 Squadron, RAF (East Kirkby, Lincolnshire - 5 Group)
    Lancaster III ND786/I - took off at 2131 and shot down by a night-fighter over Germany, crashing in flames near Miltenberg, 31km SSE of Aschaffenburg. Taken prisoner, the RAF navigator and air bomber were the sole survivors. Their five comrades were buried at Miltenberg, but later reinterred at Durnbach, 16km east of Bad Tölz.
    Captain: NZ414319 Plt Off George James MEE, RNZAF - Age 26. 663hrs. 5th op.
    Mee’s brother, John Milward Mee, died less than five weeks earlier, on 25 March while flying with 7 Sqn, RAF.

Cheers,
    Errol

Thanks

Hi Theo
    we're working hard on our sister squadron, the 57 Squadron History website (1916-date) https://57squadron.wordpress.com/
    but I'm afraid that we havent got that far into WW2 yet. I will have a run through the 5 boxes of material which will be the basis of 1943-44 and let you know if there is anything which might help you.
    PeteS
    https://630squadron.wordpress.com/

Thanks

Thanks Errol and Pete for your kind and helpful replies. It would be great Pete if you could dig up anything on ND786!

Cheers, Theo