Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blenheim IV Z9823 Date of Crash: 11 Feb 42 Unit 236 Sqdn Airfield /Crash Location , M

Thanks

Martin

Thanks

And all done from a computer screen!

HOWEVER It would be good to get confirmation....

Happy new year

Paul

Thanks

Forgive me gentlemen, but you have all lost me, I am more confused than I was when I sent my query, so can anyone let me in on the conclusion please, forgive a mere woman if you can. Did David fly on a different aircraft? Should I look in Sqdn 21 in the National Archives? The information was from Henke who had done enormous work, so I presumed it was correct. Thank you all anyway, as you have worked hard, but I do not know the conclusion, if there is one. Kindest regards, Mavis

Thanks

Mavis Parish not on Z9823 he and Duncan were Probably on Beaufighter T4915

Thanks

Thank you so much Paul, I just want to tell the correct story as best as I can., if only to give the flavour of what these young lads went through for us all. Regards, Mavis

Thanks

Paul and Mavis

My own take on this, from work I did some years ago, is that there are 3 (relevant) aircraft losses and 7 aircrew losses from Malta on this day. (and I have to say this doesn't really add much to the tentative conclusions reached elsewhere in this thread)

Blenheim IV Z9823 of 21 sqn, crew: Stubbs, Tyas, Graham, shot down in the late morning a few miles off Malta by Bf 109 of JG53 when returning from a shipping sweep in the Kerkennah Roads.

2 Transit Beaufighters lost while flying from Malta to Egypt. These were 2 of 8 despatched in the early afternoon to 108 MU (Kilo 17 or El Firdan) in company with 2 Beauforts. These 8 had arrived on Malta from Gib. the day before. Both missing aircraft were reported shot down by fighters. (Take your pick about who claimed them: JG53 or III./ZG26 - if either).

The 2 missing Beaufighters were 1. T4879 (Crew: Flt Lt AB Parker, Sgt JR Strathdee - both ex-248 Sqn) 2. T4915 (Crew: PO DFW Parish, PO W Duncan - both ex-236 Sq)

We may of course get more clarity on these losses in a few (?) months time since the CasPacks for this period are being prepared for release.

HTH
    Niall

Thanks

Niall

Thanks for your detailed reply

It was your pots on TOCH that helped me come to the same tentative conclusion

Kind regards.

Paul