Thread: 103 Sqdn Lancaster ND847

Thanks

Default 103 Sqdn Lancaster ND847

26th April 1944, at 23:04, Avro Lancaster MkIII, ser.no.ND847, call sign PM-R took off from RAF Wickerby on a mission to Essen. They crashed near Lank-Latum (between Krefeld and Dusseldorf)
    P/O Frank SHEPHERD (RAFVR) - Pilot.-
    W/O Donald Grant LEASK (RCAF) - Air Bomber
    F/Sgt Arthur Leslie NICHOLS (RAFVR) - Navigator
    Sgt Henry GREENFIELD (RAFVR) -Flt Engineer - these four were initially buried in Lank-Latum
    F/Sgt Francis Patrick Morgan QUINN (RCAF) - Air Gunner
    F.Sgt Duncan Neilson BELL (RAF) - Air Gunner - these two were initially buried in Buederich
    All six were re-interred in Rheinberg on 14th October 1947

That leaves one man ( the wireless operator) to be accounted for
    Aircrew Remembered has 410845 F/Sgt Bernard MOXHAM as the missing man and buried in Rheinberg now BUT the CWGC have F/Sgt MOXHAM on the Runnymede memorial.

So far I have no more. My main interest is in P/O SHEPHERD, but is it nice to fill in the blanks as we go along.

Appreciate any help or guidance

Tony

Thanks

Bit late in the day to reply but to confirm, in the service files for Leask and Quinn RCAF are copies of Final Graves Registration form and reports from 1948 from No. 20 MRES stating that Moxham has no known grave.

It was the opinion/conclusion of the MRES officer that Moxham was physically lost with the aircraft when it crashed. They inquired with all cemeteries in the area at that time.

I believe what you seen in 2016, and what is still visible on the aircrewrememebred database is just a typo, they have not correctly transcribed the CWGC database or what ever was used.

You could request a copy of his A705 on the Australian national archives website.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com