Thread: The Guns of Mardyck

Thanks

Default The Guns of Mardyck

Can anyone tell me anything about the German gun emplacements at Fort Mardyck in May of 1944? How big, how many etc? How many troops stationed there and who were they? Anything would be helpful...
    Are there any remnants still there?
    All the best , Clint

Thanks

Hi Clint
    There is some info about the guns on this site, have a look at the graphic for 3/HKAA1244: http://users.telenet.be/Atlantikwall...my/Arko141.htm
    It appears the Germans used captured French artillery pieces of WW1 vintage siting six guns of 155mm.

The area has changed dramatically since the war but if you contact the people at this site, then they should be able to advise where to look for more information: http://www.bunkersite.com/about.php

This is a great link for near period coverage of the area:
    https://remonterletemps.ign.fr/telecharger?x=2.305514&y=51.034163&z=14&layer=GEOG RAPHICALGRIDSYSTEMS.MAPS.SCAN-EXPRESS.STANDARD&demat=DEMAT.PVA$GEOPORTAIL:DEMAT; PHOTOS&missionId=missions.4967901

All best
    Pierre

Thanks

Thank you Pierre!
    Very helpful information, although I haven't been able to get the IGN website to load properly...I will try again.
    I can see from the AtlanticWall site the size and number of guns....it seems Bomber Command had pretty accurate intelligence, as the 405 Squadron records call the target a "medium battery". Provided by either the French Resistance or photorecon flights I assume.
    Cheers and Merci,
    Clint

Thanks

Pierre, thanks for the link to the aerial photos website. The coverage seems to start at about 1947 with some areas into the early fifties. It ispossible to see the start of the modernisation of some of the old airfields for the post-war era. However I was surprised to see what looked like an ALG under construction at one location (which I didn't bookmark correctly!) or perhaps it was under de-construction as the stated date was 1947. Sorry to drift off topic but it is a website that could benefit other researchers.

Thanks

Hello PNK

There was a French Air Force airfield at Mardyck, which was used up to 1940. This area has changed a lot since 1945, with major factories, oïl refinery, Dunkirk port extension being built. Some areas are just out of reach now, within the fences of the factories.

Indeed the IGN "remonter le temps" feature is very good when one can make it work on one's computer.

joss

Thanks

Hi folks,

Clint - if you click on one of the tabs on the page that opens such as COMPARER then click back on the tab TELECHARGER it should refresh with image. Should work in Google Chrome or the older Internet Explorer.

PNK – the IGN website is of huge use. I have had great fun exploring it over the past few years once aware of its existence. There is a reasonable amount of wartime material if you are lucky, examples would be Cherbourg and St. Lo.

Picking up on Joss’s point on how much the area has changed the modern map and the images used on the COMPARER tab, which go up to 1965 and before significant changes allow you work out where the fort was relative to the modern infrastructure.

All best for 2020.
    Pierre

Thanks

Thank you Pierre, yes that tip worked. The maps and photos on this site are amazing!
    All the best, Clint