Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leslie Scorer D.F.C. 119879/754207

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Leslie Scorer D.F.C. 119879/754207

Hello everyone

Firstly, let me wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Now, down to business! I first came across this 602 Sqn pilot in a report in the Sunderland Echo, December 17th 1942:

Sunderland Man Decorated
    A Sunderland Man decorated at a recent investiture at Buckingham Palace was Flight Lieut. Leslie Scorer, R.A.F., who was awarded the D.F.C. in June this year. His home is at 21 Cecil Street, Sunderland, and before the war he played Rugby for J.T.S. [Junior Technical School, Villiers Street] Old Boys and Sunderland clubs.
    When he was decorated, he was a Pilot Officer with 602 Squadron, and it was then stated that he had completed 71 sorties over Northern France. He was then described in the citation as “a courageous and determined pilot” who had destroyed at least one and damaged several more hostile aircraft.

and again in the same newspaper of August 24th 1943:

WEARSIDE ‘ACE’ FIGHTER
    Marries W.A.A.F. Officer
    A Wearside fighter ‘ace’ – he won the D.F.C as a member of the late ‘Paddy’ Finucane’s squadron – has just been married to a W.A.A.F officer at Milton, Hampshire.
    He is Flight-Lieut. Leslie Scorer, D.F.C., R.A.F.V.R., only son of Mr. and Mrs. John Scorer, of 20 Newhaven Avenue, Sunderland, and his bride was Section Officer Catherine Joan Budgen, W.A.A.F., younger daughter of Captain and Mrs. E. Budgen, of Kennard Road, New Milton. Bride and groom first met when they were stationed together in Northern Ireland.
    Flight-Lieut. Scorer, who will be remembered as a member of Sunderland Rugby Club, joined the R.A.F. in 1939. He is now engaged as an instructor.
    The bride was attended by her sister, Miss Marjorie Budgen, who is also in the W.A.A.F., while the best man, Mr. Edward Budgen, brother of the bride, is serving in the R.A.F.

I have some of his combat reports downloaded from the National Archives.

So, for one of Christmas presents I was given the book 'The First Helicopter Boys' by David Taylor, and there is a Leslie Scorer, a Whirlwind Pilot with 155 Squadron, mentioned in there. No mention of a D.F.C., but is it the same pilot? Master Pilot Leslie Scorer D.F.C. is mentioned in the London Gazette in November 1950, commissioned as a Flying Officer, seniority 18th Dec. 1948.

I did find a Leslie Scorer, b. July 16th 1919, Sunderland, m.m.s. McCain, d. 1984 at Westminster, London. However, I also came across an entry in New Zealand naturalisation records on ancestry.com for a Leslie Scorer, b. April 18th 1919, also at Sunderland, naturalised December 5th 1978. I was wondering these are the same Leslie Scorer, and one of the d.o.b. is wrong?

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon,

The stuff that doesn't make the papers:

From Douglas McRoberts', Lions Rampant The Story of 602 Spitfire Squadron:

Some of the old stagers were promoted out of the squadron - Nigel Rose to become one of Findlay Boyd's Flight Commanders on 54 Squadron, and gentle John Willie to an OTU to instruct. Among the newer pilots, a few began to make a name for themselves - Osborne, Willis, Johnny Niven and Scorer, though before he could live up to his name, he had to live down rather an embarrassing episode in the middle of August (1941). Coming back from a high-level sweep, he somehow managed to lose the rest of the squadron. As they landed, the controller was giving him a series of vectors over the R/T, but gradually Scorer passed out of radio range, high over Occupied Europe. They suspected he was flying a reciprocal course on his compass, a classic boob. At any rate, he must have solved his problem, because he appeared over ? and a half hours later, descending from cloud over Martlesham. He landed safely - and proceeded to 'give himself up'. He thought he'd landed in Holland - and the windmills around Martlesham didn't help either.

See:

Lions Rampant The Story of No 602 Spitfire Squadron.
    McRoberts,Douglas.
    London:William Kimber,1985.
    pp.154-5

HNY.

Col.

Thanks

Great story Col, thanks very much for posting.

I'd imagine the whole affair was very quickly forgotten by all his fellow squadron members and never spoken of again...!!

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon

Not certain but it seems odd for someone to be a Flt Lt in 1942 and then only be a Master Pilot (Warrant Officer) by 1948 unless he left the RAF in 1945/46 but on rejoining wasn't offered a commission initially?

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks Malcolm.

The 14th November 1950 London Gazette entry is as follows (I've abridged it to the relevant bits concerning Leslie Scorer):

Air Ministry, 14th Novemebr 1950.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH
    Appointment to Commission
    As Flying Officers, short service (eight years on the active list and four years on the reserve):-
    754207 Master Pilot Leslie SCORER, D.F.C. (119879). 16th Oct. 1950 (seniority 18th Dec. 1948). (period of service to count from 11th July 1948).

I understand the R.A.F. Museum has his log book, but I'm not sure if I can see a copy of it without schlepping all the way down to Hendon:

https://allspitfirepilots.org/pilots/201-leslie-scorer

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon/Col/Malcolm,
    IIRC the last SWO at HQ 3 Grp Unit at RAF Mildenhall (mid-70’s????) wore Pilot’s wings, and of DFC/AFC/DFM/AFM I think he had three of the four (but can’t remember which 3 – it was an impressive couple of rows of greengrocery!). He was a very impressive CMC when we closed the RAF Sgts Mess at Mildenhall. A selection of the USAF very senior NCOs from USAF Mildenhall had been invited. They were gobsmacked - we'd retained the 3 Grp Mess Silver from when the Officer's Mess had closed a few days earlier!!! They were not used to the accuracies of the formalities at a Mess Dining In night!!!
    A good night!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    PS The name surname Archer has just emerged from the depths of my failing memory as being connected with my tour at Mildenhall. Might have been the SWO? - but don't know!
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 2nd January 2020 at 16:31. Reason: Additions
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi,

Can I ask? What does "Forfeiture of seniority" mean?

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/1629
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/1628

Regards

Mojmir

Thanks

Interesting Mojmir, thanks for posting the links. Not sure why I couldn't find them!

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi Mojmir et al

Forfeiture of seniority means he had his effective date of promotion to Flt Lt moved forward thereby moving him down the promotion list, probably as a punishment for some offence.

A SWO could have been wearing wings in the '70s with the DFC etc as he may have served as a pilot up to 1946 as a Warrant Officer (hence DFC or AFC) but opted to transfer to ground duties so never became a Master Pilot.

It seems likely Scorer left the RAF after losing seniority and later rejoined but as NCO aircrew. I have seen others doing the same thing as there were insufficient vacancies for officers at the time, but was then recommissioned.

Malcolm

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolm_raf For This Useful Post:

vrajm (2nd January 2020),wwrsimon (2nd January 2020)

Thanks

Thank you very much, Malcolm

Mojmir