Hello everyone

Firstly, let me wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Now, down to business! I first came across this 602 Sqn pilot in a report in the Sunderland Echo, December 17th 1942:

Sunderland Man Decorated
A Sunderland Man decorated at a recent investiture at Buckingham Palace was Flight Lieut. Leslie Scorer, R.A.F., who was awarded the D.F.C. in June this year. His home is at 21 Cecil Street, Sunderland, and before the war he played Rugby for J.T.S. [Junior Technical School, Villiers Street] Old Boys and Sunderland clubs.
When he was decorated, he was a Pilot Officer with 602 Squadron, and it was then stated that he had completed 71 sorties over Northern France. He was then described in the citation as “a courageous and determined pilot” who had destroyed at least one and damaged several more hostile aircraft.

and again in the same newspaper of August 24th 1943:

WEARSIDE ‘ACE’ FIGHTER
Marries W.A.A.F. Officer
A Wearside fighter ‘ace’ – he won the D.F.C as a member of the late ‘Paddy’ Finucane’s squadron – has just been married to a W.A.A.F officer at Milton, Hampshire.
He is Flight-Lieut. Leslie Scorer, D.F.C., R.A.F.V.R., only son of Mr. and Mrs. John Scorer, of 20 Newhaven Avenue, Sunderland, and his bride was Section Officer Catherine Joan Budgen, W.A.A.F., younger daughter of Captain and Mrs. E. Budgen, of Kennard Road, New Milton. Bride and groom first met when they were stationed together in Northern Ireland.
Flight-Lieut. Scorer, who will be remembered as a member of Sunderland Rugby Club, joined the R.A.F. in 1939. He is now engaged as an instructor.
The bride was attended by her sister, Miss Marjorie Budgen, who is also in the W.A.A.F., while the best man, Mr. Edward Budgen, brother of the bride, is serving in the R.A.F.

I have some of his combat reports downloaded from the National Archives.

So, for one of Christmas presents I was given the book 'The First Helicopter Boys' by David Taylor, and there is a Leslie Scorer, a Whirlwind Pilot with 155 Squadron, mentioned in there. No mention of a D.F.C., but is it the same pilot? Master Pilot Leslie Scorer D.F.C. is mentioned in the London Gazette in November 1950, commissioned as a Flying Officer, seniority 18th Dec. 1948.

I did find a Leslie Scorer, b. July 16th 1919, Sunderland, m.m.s. McCain, d. 1984 at Westminster, London. However, I also came across an entry in New Zealand naturalisation records on ancestry.com for a Leslie Scorer, b. April 18th 1919, also at Sunderland, naturalised December 5th 1978. I was wondering these are the same Leslie Scorer, and one of the d.o.b. is wrong?

Regards

Simon