Thread: Short Sterling EGGEMOEN Norway 10 may 1945

hantonsen Guest

Default Short Sterling EGGEMOEN Norway 10 may 1945

Hi!
    In 2004 I was searching for information about a Short Sterling landing at EGGEMOEN near to Hønefoss on the 10 of may 1945. Its destination surely was GARDERMOEN as a part of operation Doomsday. 3 other Sterlings chrashed that morning, two in Norway near Gardermoen, an one at lake in Sweden near the Norwegian border.
    Somebody posted an answer to my request, but I have lost it.

I wonder what squadron this Sterling belonged to, its markings or anything about the crew.
    Today I have a newspaperclip from a local paper reporting on 11 og may 1945- translated:
    "British pilots in Hønefoss. Also Red devils." The newspaper writes thet the Sterling took of from near London late at night on the 9 of may, but cam into bad weather, and was planning to return to base, when EGGEMOEN suddenly were in front of them. The commander of the paratroopers were Lt.col Cook, telling the newspaper that his unit was the first to be dropped over Sisilia Italy (Sisily?), then also Arnhem.

There has also been told that a Halifax landed at the same airfield a couple of days later. Somone who can tell me more about that?

Most thankfull for any information.

Harald Antonsen, 3520 JEVNAKER NORWAY

Thanks

Hi Harald

This was the original discussion, I believe:

http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=3979&forum=DCForumID 6&archive=yes

A

hantonsen Guest

Default Short Sterling EGGEMOEN Opr Doomsday

Hi!
    Yes, this is the original discussion. Thank you finding it for me.
    I have some more information, peheps it could help us a little further.

From a brochure dated may 1999, (in norwegian) I translate:
    "210 aircrafts werw bound for Norway in fase II of operatin Doomsday. 2 of them took of from Great Dunmow 09.05.1945. 02:50 Eric Atcinson with LJ899. 03:55 D.R Robertson with LK297. (190 sqn)
    Atcinson crashed at Stora Røgden on the swedish side of the border 06:10 GMT. Robertson chrashed in Sørkedalen close to Oslo at aprox 08:50 GMT.

Both possibly chrashed because of ising.

07:30 GMT 10.05.1945 15 Short Sterlings took of from Shepards Grove (190 sqn). Reports says that 13 of them retured to base. The Sterling in command of Flying Offiser Breed LK147 (196 sqn???) crashed a few kilometers from Gardermoen".

I think that the missing Sterling landed at Eggemoen may 10.05.1945 and retured to base the next day. Shepards Grove. The soldiers were guarded to Gardermoen by german officers. That is in fact what the newspaper "Ringerikes Blad" reports.

Then I believe a Halifax landed at Eggemoen the 11 of may. Put down due to motorproblems after taking of from Gardermoen.

I am seeking reg. numbers for the aircrafts and names of the crew.
    I am working on the history of the Eggemoen airfield.

Thanks for any help!

Harald

Thanks

Default Stirling crash, 10 May 1945

Having reviewed Robertson's RCAF file many months ago, I can contiribute the following (excerpts from a much longer data base entry):

ROBERTSON, F/L Douglas Raymond (J13712) - Distinguished Flying Cross - No.190 Squadron - Award effective 14 November 1944 as per London Gazette dated 21 November 1944 and AFRO 1/45 dated 5 January 1945. Killed on flying operations in Norway, 10 May 1945 (Stirling LK297, L9-G).

On 10 May 1945 he took off from Great Dunmow at 0355 hours, bound for Gardermoen airfield in Norway. At the time he had flown 415 daylight hours and 171 night hours on Stirlings; his total flying was reported as 899 hours by day on all types and 213 night hours on all types. He had flown 71 hours on instruments and 71 hours in Link trainers. The aircraft crashed ten miles north of Oslo and was not found until 21 June 1945. The crash killed 24 - six crew and 18 passengers including Air Vice-Marshal J.R. Scarlett-Streatfield, one Army Major and 16 soldiers. Weather conditions this day were terrible and they also had problems with receiving signals from the "Eureka transmitter" at Gardermoen. It is not really known why the plane crashed, but one theory is that they tried to find a reference point from which to navigate, went in too low amid thick clouds, fog and rain in the area, The crew and passengers were buried at Vestre Gravlund in Oslo In 1995 a large memorial marker was raised at the crash site. For illustrations of this consult the website http://home.no.net/thsord/short_stirling_mkiv_lk297.htm.

NOTE: Having just now tried to access the above website, I get an "error" reading (apparently in Norwegian) but by gooogling the serial - LK297 - I manage to get the site. It is very detailed including complete crew and passenger list.

Three members of the RCAF were in this machine - F/L L.E. PROWSE (navigator), S/L D.R. Robdertson (pilot), F/L N.L. Roseblade (air bomber).
    Last edited by HughAHalliday; 26th August 2008 at 02:12. Reason: Comment re website

Thanks

Hello,

The aircraft which landed, on 10th May 1945, at Eggemoen was Stirling IV QS-'K' of 620 Squadron and it had taken off from RAF Great Dunmow.
    Unfortunately at the moment it is impossible to know the exact serial of QS-'K'.
    The crew of QS-'K', on 10th May 1945, was:
    Warrant Officer Ron MILLER (Pilot)
    Warrant Officer Jack HOWES (Navigator)
    Flight Sergeant Idwal DAVIES (Bomb Aimer)
    Flight Sergeant Don VEITCH (Wireless Operator)
    Flight Sergeant Gordon HUSBAND (Flight Engineer)
    Flight Sergeant Stan WHITE (Air Gunner).

Wing Commander P.N. JENNINGS, DFC, Officer Commanding 196 Squadron, in his account of Operation 'Doomsday', told that Eggemoen was the diversionary airport of this Operation and that the Met. Officer seemed quite confident about the weather!

If you want I've the account of Stan WHITE about the landing at Eggemoen where they were 'welcomed ' by 20 armed Germans who told them that they only wanted to guard QS-'K'!
    In his account, Stan WHITE speaks about Lieutenant-Colonel Cook.
    If you also want, I've 2 photos: one is Warrant Officer MILLER's crew with local reporter Laura Lyngved, the second is a photo of Lieutenant-Colonel Cook with MILLER's crew at a ceremony at Honefoss.

The 3 Stirlings lost on 10th May 1945 were
    - From 190 Squadron:
    Stirling IV LK297 (Pilot Squadron Leader ROBERTSON)
    Stirling IV LJ899 (Pilot Flying Officer ATKINSON). LJ899 was the aircraft which ditched in Röjdafors Lake.
    - From 196 Squadron:
    Stirling IV LK147 (Pilot Flying Officer BREED)

If you want I have also the complete list of the 67 persons onboard these 3 Stirlings.

Concerning the Halifax, I didn't find any Halifax which also landed at Eggemoen.
    At the moment the only Halifax that I couldn't find the exact landing is 9U-'E' (Pilot Flight Sergeant R.A. SMITH) which landed 'at Oslo' on 12 May 1945. Could this be this one?

My email to join me off-board is raf38groupATgmail.com (replace AT with @).

Regards.

Bruno LECAPLAIN
    www.raf38group.org
    Last edited by Bruno; 26th August 2008 at 20:00.
    Bruno LECAPLAIN
    Raf WWII 38 Group Squadrons Reunited <www.raf38group.org>
    Stirling Aircraft Society <stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org>

hantonsen Guest

Default EGGEMOEN May 1945

Hello,
    I am most thankfull for Your information. Interesting to know that Eggemoen was the diversionary airport of this Operation, it has always been told in the community of Hønefoss that it was a not planned emercency landing.

Regarding the Halifax You wrote in 2004:
    "On 11th May 1945 for phase II of Operation Doomsday, one Halifax (a jeep aircraft) of 298 Squadron (or 644 Squadron?), who had taken off from Tarrant Rushton, after landing at GARDEMOEN, put down at EGTEMOEN and returned to Tarrant Rushton on May 12th.

Egtemoen = eggemoen?

Sorry but I haven't the name of the crew.

Bruno"

I think this must be the Halifax. I have a weak memory of having read a RAF station diary at some web-site 4 or 5 years ago, but I am not able to find it today.

The runway at Eggemoen in 1945 was 1852 meters long and 60 meters wide concrete. Today it is still 1852 meters long but only 800 meters (most north) is useable.

I imagine the Sterling was a big aircraft on that runway, would it have had problems landing and taking off?

Beste hilsner

hantonsen

Thanks

I am not sure if anyone is still on this thread as it has been a long time. My Dad was in 298 squadron based at Tarrant Rushton. I have two photographs of him in Norway. Unfortunately the only information I have written on the back is 'Norway - 12.5.45' so I am not sure exactly where they were taken. One is of some of the crew and the other is the crew with some young Norwegian lads. I am currently trying to find out more about my Father's service career but finding it quite a slow process at present.