Thread: Help Request - RAF(VR) Service Record WW2 - Questions not previously posted

Thanks

Default Help Request - RAF(VR) Service Record WW2 - Questions not previously posted

I would like some help please interpreting my Grandfathers RAFVC service record. I have spent a lot of time searching the forum for answers and so the help I need is (I hope) not already posted elsewhere on this forum. Thank you to all the people who posted previously! I would love to squeeze some more insight out of the service record and I have listed the parts that I haven’t been able to decipher below. In some cases it is not 100% clear what the transcription should be and for this reason I have scanned and attached the service record.

The service record scan can be accessed here:
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...52049843188809
    (It's a 4 page PDF so you will need to scroll through to see each page. It's high resolution but you may need to zoom in to read it)

These are the points I would like help understanding...

*Special Qualifications Section:

C / R
    A182
    12/9/44

*Time Forefeited Section: C / R

A182
    12/9/44
    B&W. of

(i.e. appears to be similar to the previous point)

*Miscellaneous Section:

AC15 88-
    CWE
    K411/H

*Sticker on the bottom right hand corner underneath the “Good Conduct Badges” section but over the top of another section that as a result is not visible:

B4

*Miscellaneous Section carries the following stamp:

CMUG 60.1

*Religion Section:

485/44
    43 C.E.

(C.E. = Church of England, not sure about the numbers)

*Civil Occupation / Employer:

Ind. ZK444.1 dis. 167

*Discharge Section. Written in ink:

(2?)116

*Form 1406. Next to place of birth someone has written F246. I think this refers to a form. Does anyone know which one?

*Form 1406. In the top left has been pencilled:

AL342/45
    113/45

*Does anyone know what the following P.O.R. codes stand for? or if there is reference where I can find them?

27/44
    117/44
    489/44
    265/44
    5/45
    29/45
    439/44
    141/44
    652/14
    447/44

(--n.b. some of the data in the attachment is personal data and relates to living people and has therefore been redacted).

Any help would be very much appreciated!
    Last edited by Alan1234; 9th January 2020 at 21:09.

Thanks

Alan, Hi,
    The "P.O.R. codes" are not codes. They are serial numbers. PORs (Personnel Occurrence Reports) were issued (usually) as an appendix to an issue of the SRO (Station Routine Orders). In this case they are in the format nnn/yy. 27/44 refers to issue number 27 of a POR in 1944. (652/14 would seem to be a typo!. Don't know what 3875 was all about!).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter,
    Thank you for explainng the P.O.R. points.
    Best Regards,
    Alan

Thanks

*Civil Occupation / Employer:

Ind. ZK444.1 dis. 167

The ZK denotes that he was in "Local Government Services" .... I will see if I can find 444.1 in my listing (but this may take a while) .... I have never been able to work out the Dis part .... I think it means district, but after many years of research I have not managed to track down any sort of listing

Do you know what trade he was in before the war? (ie what branch of local government he was in)
    Last edited by PeteT; 9th January 2020 at 22:54.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hi Pete,
    Thank you... yes, prior to volunteer his main occupation was Deputy Clerk at a town council.
    Best Regards,
    Alan