Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 164555 Maurice John Hills, 166 Sqn - DFC citation?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MSIMPSON View Post
    So it might seem. Looking through some entries for the crew in the 166 Sqn O.R.B., no serial numbers are appended for any of the crew as they are usually for non
    -RAF aircrew.
    Regards
    Hello,

"No serial numbers appended". Take a look here: https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D8436946 - AIR 27/1089/46 - No.166 Sqn ORB (F.540) 1 Nov 1944 - 30 Nov 1944 - Image 7 of 8.

Darke's service number is used twice (with the prefix "A."),in the 166 Sqn ORB - Once in posting data (F.540), and again in one of the crew listings (F.541- albeit, partially obscured). It's the old story; the compiler of the ORBs saw a number prefixed with a "4" and assumes that he was either an Australian, or a Kiwi. This is precisely why the AUS/NZ prefixes were introduced in 1940*, to avoid such confusion.

The allusion to Parke being "Australian", is also repeated in the official squadron history, so what hope have you got. I knew there was no one of that name/number in the RAAF, but what about the RNZAF? Luckily, NSIMPSON had the common sense to have a look at AIR 78 (10/10 on that point!).

* It took a while for the penny to drop at the D.P.S., RAAF HQ, in Melbourne in 1940 (where the Nominal Roll was kept). They were getting signals of members who were numbered 4XXXXX who were; wounded/injured, sick or dead, and could not find them on their Nominal Roll. It had to change. The prefix "AUS" (Not "A." or "Aus."), was meant to be used for all members of the RAAF serving outside of Australia proper.

Col
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 17th January 2020 at 00:08.

Thanks

Hello Col,
    Yes, didn't look at the posting in details, just several random entries in the F.541, should have made myself clearer. Easy to see how the error was originally made, and a lot easier to correct now with online databases.
    Regards.

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification Col. I'd thought the same thing - someone at some stage saw that Darke's got a Service Number beginning with a 4, so therefore he must be from down under.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Not wanting to overdo the point, I have looked at the posting-in detail for the Keyte crew in my own, unwatermarked copy of the 166 Sqn O.R.B. and indeed Sgt.Darke's service number is preceded by a capital letter 'A'.However, on enlarging the image, it appears that the letter has been crossed out, but not in such a way as to be completely obvious. It is just about visible in the preview version on TNA. The fact that the service number does not appear in a number of later entries for Sgt.Darke may indicate that the error was recognised at the time. For what it's worth.
    Regards,Mark.
    Last edited by MSIMPSON; 17th January 2020 at 11:28.