Thread: Query - Coastal Command Operational Terms

Thanks

Default Query - Coastal Command Operational Terms

A WOP/AG in No.422 Squadron records in his logbook several types of operations, the nature of which is unclear. What might these be ?

Anti-Submarine Patrol - Sea Slug (1 July, 12 July and 15 July 1943)

Anti-Submarine Sweep - Moorings (31 July, 3 August, 12 August, 15 August, 7 October, 13 October, 25 October, 28 October 1943)

“Outmatch 41" (14 June 1944), “Outmatch 42" (16 June 1944), “Outmatch 42" again (20 June 1944) and “Outmatch 28" (26 June 1944).

Thanks

I believe they were patrol areas. Also common at the time were 'Percussion' and 'Musketry'. Usually Bay of Biscay and Atlantic. I do not know the exact areas or patrol patterns, I believe they are listed in a book somewhere.

Chris

Thanks

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Hi Hugh:

Moorings Four anti-submarine patrols were conducted in an area between Iceland and the Faeroe Islands.

Musketry patrols - including Musketry Three that I'm aware of - were flown over the southern Bay of Biscay.

An observation: Mojmir's links both refer to the Mosquito but I don't believe 422 Sqn operated the type and it didn't carry a WOP/AG.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 12th January 2020 at 14:24.

Thanks

This fabulous film describes the 'Percussion' patrols in some detail. It is well worth watching all the way through. Some excellent footage of Fortresses, Wellingtons, Liberators, Hudsons, Sunderlands and Catalinas.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ect/1060005982

Chris

Thanks

I have wondered about Outmatch as Mosquito operations - could the Sunderland in question have been flying an AS patrol under Mosquito protection ? Or perhaps providing some communications or navigational assistance to Mosquito patrols ?

Thanks

I have never seen a Sunderland Squadron ORB posted to an 'Outmatch' patrol, and neither heard of Sunderland's and Mosquitos working together operationally. The occasional fighter affiliation exercises were undertaken, with 422 Squadron losing an aircraft on one on 20th February 1944. That was with a Beaufighter though. I note in the 422 Squadron ORB that a number of homing exercises were undertaken at the time. There is not much details though and no mention of 'Outmatch'.

Chris

Thanks

"Mascara 1" - No.500 (County of Kent) Squadron - was a patrol area between Ibiza and the southern tip of Sardinia in the Mediterranean in late 1942.