Thread: WW2 Air Gunner insignia information

Thanks

Default WW2 Air Gunner insignia information

Hi all, wondering if anyone could shine a light on this insignia me and my partner found on her Grandfatherís regimental ties. We believe that he was an Air Gunner in the war but donít know too much else. I notice one of the flashes resembles the coat of arms of Amsterdam in the Netherlands? Any information would be greatly appreciated to explore the history more. The drive links are to images of the ties.

Thanks
    Matt

Thanks

Hello Matt

Welcome to the Forum.

The first one is a R.A.F.A. Amsterdam tie: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/ti...nfo&art=166263

Not sure about the second one - is that a wolf, a fox or something else?

Regards

Simon

Thanks

The second one, I would surmise, is a fox. The heraldic blazon of the Sqn Badge might be "a fox mask proper"?
    The best I can come up with is a Station, Unit, or Sqn, with close connections to Leicestershire (good fox-hunting country!!).
    The nearest I can find is 12 Sqn. Although there is no Leicestershire connection they did, at one stage, fly the Fairy Fox! It was a Bomber Sqn in WW2.
    All circumstantial evidence, but no fact(s) I'm afraid!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 18th January 2020 at 14:51.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

As Peter says No 12 Squadron have a fox's head as its badge because it was the only RAF squadron to fly the Fairey Fox, but the image on the tie doesn't look like the image on the 12 Sqn badge. But if he was an Air Gunner, he could have flown with 12 Sqn.

Malcolm

Thanks

Simon/Malcolm,
    I had also wondered about the circle behind the more modernistic image of the fox's mask. It might represent a clock face? The sector in black might represent the hands showing 'a quarter to 12'? Now I know nothing of the history of 12 Sqn, but there might be some episode the 12 Sqn's history (scurrilous, or otherwise!) that is commemorated by this tie. You will, no doubt, have heard of the tie that commemorates the illicit import of some Japanese rice wine (sake) to the fort/airstrip at Firq in the Oman (a muslim country!) during one of the insurgencies. Such ties do, indeed, exist!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!