Thread: Date-of-Birth: P/O Dave Stevenson RCAF

Thanks

Default Date-of-Birth: P/O Dave Stevenson RCAF

I am looking for the date-of-birth of P/O Dave Stevenson, RCAF (Airmenís No. R261870, Officerís Number J93882). He was my fatherís rear gunner at 419 Squadron, September 1944-April 1945. Dad has him as F/Sgt in his logbook but the ORBs indicate he received his commission, and he was posted out at the rank of P/O, May 1945. Dad indicated he had his 19th birthday over enemy territory. I want to verify if that was the case and the particular operation on which it occurred.

Jim

Thanks

Jim

I've had a look on ancestry.com or David Stevenson, born in Canada around 1925, and there are three or four candidates. There's one born at Kamloops, B.C., on January 19th 1926, which includes a portrait photo of him in Air Force uniform with an Air Gunner's brevet.

Do you know if he had any other forenames apart from David?

Regards

Simon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wwrsimon For This Useful Post:

JDCAVE (20th January 2020)

Thanks

Thanks Simon: I have reviewed all the ORB records and only have the one initial for Stevenson. Dad only records the rank and last name of the crew members on each of his ops. Dad records in his audio memoirs that Dave Stevenson was from Vancouver BC and that he ď...celebrated his 18th birthday over the 3rd Reich on ops...Ē

I shall go through the battle orders, to see if they put in more details WRT initials.

Jim

Thanks

Simon and I have reviewed a photo off-line and I have concluded beyond any doubt I might have that the Dave Stevenson in question was the one born in Kamloops with a DOB January 16, 1926. That puts him at 19 on January 16, 1945, and was flying operationally prior to that at 18. He probably enlisted at 17. He did not fly on ops on January 16, 1945, but was listed with a spare crew. Stevenson flew with other crews in January, as he missed ops in November due to illness. Dad didn’t fly in January 1945, as he was sick for that whole month.

http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...2/1024?r=0&s=1

Thanks so much Simon. Dad probably heard he was on the battle order but it turns out he didn’t fly that day.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 20th January 2020 at 20:16.