Thread: German photos of Allied aircraft

Thanks

Default German photos of Allied aircraft

I have been told that the Germans routinely photographed the crash sites of downed allied aircraft and these photos may still be available....somewhere.

Can anyone please confirm whether or not this is accurate and if so are the German archives the best place to commence a search? I understand some German records are also held in Washington.

Cheers

Eric

Thanks

Default pictures of crash sites

Dear Eric,

many pictures have been taken from crash sites. Many are held at the imperial war museum. Please take a look at the following example:

http://home.arcor.de/fliegerschicksale/homepage/absturzorte/b/bremen/blockland/040741bl.htm

This is one source. The other would be the National Archives/USA. Both can hold the picture you need.

The german archives are the last place I would investigate. Most documents have been moved. But if you know the crash site it would be a chance to get in contact with the local archives. If you need help I'm happy to assist you. But the archives in the u.k. and usa would be the first adresses.

kind regards

Steve
    Last edited by Mosquito; 21st August 2008 at 19:56.

Rod Guest

Hi,

at the end or just after the war, British Air Intelligence came into pocession of five captured German albums - nos. 1-185 - containing photographs of Allied aircraft shot down by the 8th Flakdivision between 1941-1943. These albums were forwarded to the Air Historical Branch. The details are recorded in ADI(K) Captured Documents List # 42, and the collection of albums was referenced as document number 42/93.

I do not know if these albums were ever returned to the Bundesarchiv in Germany but I suspect not. This being the case, they still may be with the A.H.B. and could possibly be the restricted 'albums' referred to by Garbett/Goulding in one of their 'Lancaster at War' volumes.

Cheers

Rod

Thanks

Eric quite a lot of non-official pictures of crashed allied planes are available time to time on ebay.de.

pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I have been told that the Germans routinely photographed the crash sites of downed allied aircraft and these photos may still be available....somewhere.

Can anyone please confirm whether or not this is accurate and if so are the German archives the best place to commence a search? I understand some German records are also held in Washington.

Cheers

Eric
    Hi
    As I understand it many of the allied a/c that crashed in france are supposed to be here ay the ecpa.

http://www.ecpad.fr/ecpa/index.htm

Many of the photos apparently made their way to the UK and are in various archives ( aircraft companies, RAF/air min etc , even now to internet photo sales sites etc.)
    This info was supplied some years back to me via a french discussion board where I was researching the crash photos of whirlwinds.
    Cheers
    Jerry

Thanks

hello,

Apart from the non offical snapshot taken by Germans soldiers, which can to be found on e-bay, "official" German pictures can be found in the BA-Ma collection in Germany, and also in France at ECPA-D, as Jerry explains, because the building where negatives were stored in eastern France (Strasbourg if my memory serves me well) was taken by French troops during liberation. So France seized lots of pictures, including of crashed planes. I remember a roll of negative of B-17 "Shangri-la Lil", of 303rd B.G., shot down near Hazebrouck on 27th August 1943, at least 7 pictures in a row.

Joss

Thanks

Thank you very much everyone.

I wasn't aware of these potential sources and will commence a search.

I do pretty much have the exact location, aircraft serial # etc.

Steve, I may take you up on your kind offer of additional assistance. Will attempt a search myself first.

Regards

Eric

Thanks

Hi all,

I would like to find photos of the wreck of 13 Sqdn's Blenheim Mk IV T2254 I-OO that crashed near Aartselaar in Belgium on 26.06.1942 so this thread is excellently timed!

About two weeks ago I contacted the Bundesarchiv in Koblenz who confirmed they do hold numerous photographs of crashed allied aircraft (taken by so-called Propaganda Kompanien) but that these are neither dated nor linked by any other means to any specific location. On is free to come and search the archive but this would mean going trough boxes with hundreds of photos - the proverbial needle in the haystack springs to mind! Military documentary material is held by the Bundesmilitärarchiv in Freiburg alright, but the photos and films are all kept in the central Bildarchiv at Koblenz.

The lady that answered my query also suggested contacting ECPAD in France which puzzled me a bit (why look for German photos in France?) but Joss Leclerq's below post answered that question of course.

Joss, would you know if the ECPAD collection only holds photos relating to crashes on French soil?

TIA

Walter

Thanks

hello,

I can't tell if the pictures in ECPA-D are related to France only. They cover crashed planes but not only that. Some "propaganda Kompanie" visited airfield and took pictures of the airmen's life, planes, maintenance and rearming, etc...

Alas, as in BA-MA, there's no catalogue and very few details about them. I was offered last year to travel to Paris to help to reference them, but the contact in ECPA-D who contacted me faded away. I recently have been in touch with one of his colleague, and he should contact me again.

All the pictures I know were about subjects in France, but being French I only focused in my research area, northern France. I also know that some pictures were taken in North Africa.

Sorry not to be able to help more.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks all the same Joss, we'll have to do it the hard way then! I'll first give the IWM collection a try.

Cheers,
    Walter