Thread: 607 Squadron Vampires - 'the Rats' role'

Thanks

Default 607 Squadron Vampires - 'the Rats' role'

Hello everyone

Just came across this phrase in the 607 Squadron ORB from 1952-1954, with regards to exercises, and it had me scratching my head for a while wondering what on earth it meant. Fortunately there is a hand written addendum from February 12th 1969, with info from S/L Stephen, the Squadron's C.O. between 1953 and 1956:

RATS' ROLE - this was a Low Level exercise (done more than once by the Squadron). The name comes from the fact that the Squadron had to try and "sneak in on the ground floor" like rats in a house.

I'd never heard of the Northumbrian (or indeed County Durham) Vampire Rat before! Is this a phrase used by other units as well?

Simon

Thanks

Rat and Terrier

The 'RAT' represents a low level enemy intruder and he calls his position and rough heading (half a minute late) at brief intervals; This information in wartime would originate from ground observation posts. The 'TERRIER' pilot plots the enemy track and attempts to intercept him.

http://www.jeversteamlaundry.org/glossary.htm#RAT

Mojmir
    Last edited by vrajm; 23rd January 2020 at 17:05.

Thanks

Ah, thanks Mojmir. The ORB also mentions the TERRIER role during exercises as well.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

It seems to me that there is a lot to learn about training methods in the post war era, especially how they changed when the fighter/bomber roles evolved into a more multi-role, .... erm role.