Thread: Ben R S Scaman on the RAFM site.

Thanks

Default Ben R S Scaman on the RAFM site.

Hello All,
    The RAFM has just (on another forum) helped celebrate the 100th birthday of Ben R S Scaman, RCAF, and, as part of that, have posted a uniformed portrait of him (https://www.facebook.com/rafmuseum/p...type=3&theater). I wish him well! A brave Pilot!
    Has this photo been "doctored"? He doesn't seem to be in TNA AIR 78, presumably because he was in the RCAF? Is that a brass 'VR' insignia on his left lapel? The one on his right lapel seems to have been photographically 'removed', as has the 'CANADA' shoulder flash? Any comments? Or am I seeing problems where there arenít any? (Itís a medical condition that I have had, chronically, for many years!).
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello

If he was RCAF, there's no reason he should appear in AIR 78 listings in Kew. It is my understanding that these files only concern RAF airmen / airwomen.

Joss

Thanks

Joss (et al),
    My thinking was that if he was not wearing any national shoulder-flash then he was RAF/VR. If, therefore, he was RAF/VR then he should be in TNA AIR 78?
    RAFM have responded by saying that as the photo was taken in Canada while he was still under training (not obvious!) he would not be wearing the CANADA shoulder flash. This flash was, probably, not worn until personnel left Canada for overseas? RAFM then asked what I had expected to find in TNA AIR 78? This seems, to me, to be a strange response? There was no indication that he was, in the photo, RCAF. Therefore I would have expected to find his full names and Service Number (and noted any other ancillary information that occasionally appears on some AIR 78 pix) simply as a check on accuracy in other published 'facts'. RAFM made no comment on my observation that there is, in the photo, some sort of badge on his left jacket lapel, but nothing on his right jacket lapel.
    I do not wish to make a 'federal case' out of this, but most of us have learned (the hard way!!) always to check, check, and check again. I will hold my hand up to not always practising what I preach!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 23rd January 2020 at 15:32. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...3825#post83825

Sgt BR Scaman R109478 (Can)

http://610squadron.com/wwii_pilots/

85698 P/O Scaman, Ben R. (Canada) - I suspect the J is simply missing there. I cannot get it to show up on the Canada Gazette search.

The photo has the training stripe in his cap, indicating training, to me at least.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 23rd January 2020 at 18:18.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Peter
    I do not think the photo was doctored (what for?), neither it is VR title visible.
    https://www.facebook.com/Franciszek-Grabowski-241360809684411/