Thread: ORB for 1 AACU, Biggin Hill, TNA AIR 29/42

Thanks

Default ORB for 1 AACU, Biggin Hill, TNA AIR 29/42

Does anyone have a copy of/access to the ORB for 1 AACU, Biggin Hill, TNA AIR 29/42, for 1937-39, please?

I have three Sgt Plts of 41 Sqn who transferred to the unit in April 1937 and am seeking information on their arrival and closer identification details.

All I currently have is that Sgt Plts EA Buck, Elliot, & Taylor with no further ID.

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve, Hi,

E(rnest?) A Buck
    These are the “E A Buck’s” extracted from AIR 78/24/4 Images 29-35:-

Buck E A 126931
    Buck Edward Alexander 1050742
    Buck Eustace Andrew 1420082
    Buck Edward Albert 1616561
    Buck Edward Arthur 1879127
    Buck Edward Albert 2520835

The s/ns of the bottom 5 are all too late? 126931 is the only one I can connect with any flying – and he’s a bit elderly! He Transfers from the RFC. He gets MiD (LG 24 Sep 41, p.5574) as a Warrant Officer. If he is actually 126931 then he might be Ernest A Buck (FMP)? There are a couple of “maybe possibles” in FREEBMD:-

Births Dec 1898 (>99%) BUCK Ernest Arthur, Morpeth 10b 394
    Births Sep 1900 (>99%) BUCK Ernest Alfred, Weymouth 5a 283

Lots of ‘ifs & buts’, but best I can do from ‘the usual suspects’!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Peter; I appreciate your time and help

I THINK my man is 126931 Ernest Arthur Buck, born Morpeth, 29 Sep 98, who was the Private (15594) in the Suffolk Regt in WWI and transferred to the RFC as an AM2 telephonist on 23 Jan 18. No idea when he was re-mustered for flying training, but a Sgt Plt Buck appears in the 41 Sqn ORB Mar 35-Apr 37, and was then posted to 1 AACU in April 1937 with Sgt Plts Elliot & Taylor.

Unfortunately, on my laptop at the moment, I can't actually find why I felt Buck is E. A. Buck. The 41 Sqn ORB does not identify him, Elliot or Taylor by their initials, so was hoping that the 1 AACU ORB might corroborate this and provide more information on the names, particularly given the commonality of the names Elliot & Taylor.

Regards
    Steve

Thanks

Steve

From a family tree on ancestry.co.uk:

Ernest Arthur Buck, born Bedlington, Northumberland on September 29th 1898. He's on the 1939 Register living at 174 Beardall Street, Hucknall, with his wife Norah and recorded as a Royal Air Force Warrant Officer.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

174 Beardall St, Hucknall, still there (GE 53.035144 -1.201136). Possibly a “Hiring” – if they had them in those days? – or did he own the house? Only 1.5 miles from Hucknall airfield. A "picture" of this man is beginning to appear from the traditional 'mists of time'!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Default Ernest Arthur Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    174 Beardall St, Hucknall, still there (GE 53.035144 -1.201136). Possibly a “Hiring” – if they had them in those days? – or did he own the house? Only 1.5 miles from Hucknall airfield. A "picture" of this man is beginning to appear from the traditional 'mists of time'!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Ernest was my grandfather. He passed away in 1975 in that very house, which he had rented for over 30 years.
    He served the crown in WW1 on the Western Front, in the Middle East from Amman, Jordan during the inter-war years, and in the RAF as a Warrant Officer throughout WW2. He worked at Rolls Royce from 1945 until his retirement.
    A modest and humble man, he has been a great inspiration for me throughout my life.
    I'm glad to answer any further questions you may have.

Jeremy Chappell

Thanks

Jeremy, Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks for your input.
    Ernest Arthur Buck rest in peace. But in some respects he doesn't. He lives in "inspiration". I've met and/or worked with a number of Warrant Officers - a fearsome breed! You don't get a "Tate & Lyle" for nothing! Jack Holt will be remembered by many in 38 Grp in the 70's! And much of the attitudes in the way this forum is run, and respects differing viewpoints politely, is down to the late Henk Welting (Warrant Officer(Rtd), RNLAF).
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hi Simon and Peter, my humblest apologies; I had not realised that you had added further responses to my post. Many thanks for the additional information.

Hi Jeremy

Thank you very much for posting. I am very interested in learning a little more about your grandfather, if I may?

Do you have his service record, or any other records (e.g. photo album), that might confirm if he served as a pilot on 41 Sqn ca March 1935 to April 1937, please?

Kind regards
    Steve