Thread: 1917 film

Thanks

Default 1917 film

Having just seen the film 1917 I am left wondering why they did not send an aircraft to drop the urgent message to the front. Obviously there would have been no award winning plot about the two foot soldiers. Also I appreciate the forum concerns WW2 but hope someone can enlighten me?

Thanks

It’s not question of history. It’s a question of “Saving the Cat”.

These people are film makers. “ A “save the cat” is a moment, very early on in the story, where we meet or see our hero do something nice that makes us like him and say, “I want to follow this person's story.” It's important to have it because you want your audience to be sympathetic or empathetic towards your protagonist.”

So the issue is focusing on this person’s character and making the audience like him.

Edit: I should add that script writing is typically very formulaic, despite what people might have you believe.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 4th February 2020 at 04:53.

Thanks

Our local news reported that the plot was based on an incident involving the director's grandfather or great grandfather, who was from across the river in Grimsby, but I don't know any more details.

Malcolm

Thanks

If we find the answer, it may give us an important clue as to why Gandalf didn't just send the eagles to drop that ring into Mount Doom.....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ClintCoffey For This Useful Post:

James Castle (4th February 2020)

Thanks

Hello Robin,
    I thought exactly the same as you, especially as Allied aircraft were clearly in the area. Messages dropped on streamers would be clearly picked up by the recipients. However Jim and Malcolm also give the answer. If based on a real account, we cannot deny it, and it does make an excellent film. Maybe logic did not feature in the plans made by the original General.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

I don't think it's based on a "real account". From what I read I think it's based around Sam Mendes's grandfather's general experiences and stories from WW1, but people have read that as meaning it's showing 'his' actual story.

Ian

Thanks

The reason aircraft weren't used was multifold:
    1) A message would have to be relayed to the nearest airfield. There's no guarantee that the telephone was intact so a despatch rider would have to ride there. So take that time into account
    2) The pilot would need to know EXACTLY the point at which the receiving officer was at that time
    3) The message drop would have to be pin-point
    4) How would a reply be sent?

Runners were under orders to not only make sure a message was delivered but also a confirmation of receipt was returned. Almost always at least 2 or 2 3 runners were sent with the same message, using different routes, to ensure that hopefully one would arrive.

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Amrit For This Useful Post:

James Castle (5th February 2020)

Thanks

Thank you for the feedback. I don't think the story was a true account, n.b. they did not do a footnote on the characters at the end . Still think an aircraft could have been used, it would have been easier than sending two poor sods across various no man's land and enemy held territory. The message could have been dropped with streamers over the trenches where the men were about to go over the top. No
    reply was needed it was to stop a suicide advance into a trap. However, I learned two things from 1917:
    don't volunteer. Make sure when you deliver an important its delivery is witnessed by others.Thanks again

11. The Following User Says Thank You to robin bird For This Useful Post:

James Castle (6th February 2020)