Thread: 211 Squadron RAF

Thanks

Default 211 Squadron RAF

As the bushfire risk to suburban Canberra at long last eased this week, felt moved to make another small update to my 211 Squadron RAF website.

Details are, as usual, shown here:
    While major site additions came to a natural close with the 70th and 75th Anniversary updates of March and April 2016, smaller revisions like this continue, on 31 July each year or more immediately as needed.

I also closed the site for correspondence in 2016, however, this page may help any new readers:
    These pages may also be of general help
    Given the nature of the RAF Commands board (which looks set to be the last of the really useful, collaborative and determinedly civil RAF discussion boards), I think I ought to explain myself a little further.

After nearly 25 years research and 19 years on line, all for a single RAF Squadron, it was past time to step back. I'm getting old and there are still bikes to ride, photos to take, bush to walk and health to manage.
    My website as it stands covers all the material and sources available to me about the Squadron and ought, I hope, to provide some information for most queries, without re-opening correspondence for enquiries.

That said, by re-activating a long abandoned RAF Commands user account, I thought to be still able to help a little from time to time, with some other board topics, if only at the rate and with the privacy that suits me.
    I should add that I'm really deeply reluctant to pass on my email address or to have it passed on and I'm not keen on off-board discussions.

If I can contribute within these limits, I'll do my best to do so and hope that these rather long-winded remarks read constructively, which is my intent.

Don Clark
    www.211squadron.org

Thanks

Default Re: 211 Squadron RAF

Updated the website 13 April 2020, as noted:
    http://www.211squadron.org/site_updates.html

Don Clark
    www.211squadron.org
    Toujours propos

Thanks

211 Squadron website access

I don't expect many of you visit my website often, or at any great length. I thought, though, that I ought to mention that in recent weeks, host server errors have begun to arise every few days.

To date the dropouts have been brief, a matter of minutes only. When these happen, instead of my website pages, you'll see a terse page from the host saying only
    HTTP 500 Internal Server Error.
    That is, a technical error at my web hosting service. They are nothing to do with my own system or my website updates nor are they a security problem.

My website has been with the same web hosting service since 2013. Access has been robust and stable for the most part since then, including a trouble-free server/software upgrade in April 2019.

As you might expect, host tech support is quite restricted at present. I do monitor my website often, as a matter of course. As long as the errors remain a brief and temporary nuisance, I'll leave raising a support request.

In the meantime, if you encounter the HTTP 500 error advice on visiting www.211squadron.org pages, just check back in a few minutes.

Please excuse my frequent posting re my own work...
    Don Clark
    www.211squadron.org
    Last edited by Don Clark; 15th April 2020 at 02:09.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Postscript
    When posting about particular theatres and service matters where the 211 Squadron story may be relevant and of interest, I've been inclined to include one or several links to pages/sections of my site.
    It now appears that for a period soon after making such a post, my host server throws it's apron over its face along with either a HTTP 500 error, or a server respond time out.
    My tech skills are pretty limited and for the most part my host provides a good service - as it ought for the fees I pay for a strictly non-commercial info site...

Though stability had returned in recent days, since a post earlier today, instability has returned. So, my conclusion is for the moment to cease scattering own-site illustrative links about the place here -post hoc arguing, I know.

However, I've edited that post to take the 211 links out.
    I'll rethink that and my signature - I've little skill, time or patience to spare for digital puzzles.

Don Clark
    Last edited by Don Clark; 28th April 2020 at 07:57.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

After the experiences noted above, stable access to my website returned and has continued.

Including illustrative material by links in posts can be quite useful in my opinion, and it has taken a little while for another way to come to mind.

In the NLA's PANDORA web archive, found through Trove, my website for 211 Squadron is archived annually.

So in recent posts, when relevant, I've chosen to link to the latest archive copy (as above).
    Works satisfactorily.
    Were the past dropouts in fact due to my links habit or some other glitch? Cannot say.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 21st September 2020 at 21:29.
    Toujours propos