Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No 2 Air Observer School - Edmonton

Thanks

Default No 2 Air Observer School - Edmonton

I am researching the people, aircraft and events associated with No. 2 Air Observers School which was based at Edmonton, Alberta, Canada during WW2. If any of you have information on instructors or pupils at this school, specific training aircraft (they utilized Ansons) or know of accidents, incidents or events that transpired at No 2 AOS, I would appreciate receiving the info for inclusion in my database.

I am also the newsletter editor for the Alberta Aviation Museum located in Edmonton, so any information I receive, I would like to share with the museum (with the consent of those who reply of course). Thanks.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Hello,

Expect you know Lech Lebiedowski who has photos of 2 AOS Ansons.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks

Yes I do, Robert - Lech has always been most helpful. Do you have a connection with No. 2 AOS?

Neil

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Neil,

We have been making a documentary about the Anson Mk I found recently on Vancouver Island. The crew were buried together near Victoria this morning. The tangential link for us was that the Anson passed through Edmonton to be overhauled and winterized before entering service with 32 OTU - we traveled to meet Lech as part of our research. The documentary previews in Victoria tomorrow night.

Here's a local news clip of today's ceremony:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...rest-1.2830243

Good luck with your research.

Robert

Thanks

Neil,

Perhaps old news, but have you gotten ahold of John Chalmers, author of Navigator Brothers? John's book is a collection of letters and memoirs of his father and uncle, both navigators who trained in Edmonton. The book gives detailed descriptions of 3 Manning Depot, 4 Initial Training School and 2 Air Observers School. My interest in this relates to my uncle's training as he also attended each of these three Edmonton stations. My uncle completed 2AOS, course 58, 18 December 1942 . I am currently near completion of a short biography of my uncle, WOII James Horne RCAF. I have a few details that may be of interest to you. Most interesting is his log book which lists each Anson he flew on and the duty performed. I have given Lech a copy of these pages so perhaps you have already seen this. Also of less interest are some bureaucratic type documents including his Report Card.

I am very interested in your search and hope to keep in touch,

Ken Horne,
    Edmonton

Thanks

Hello,

I'm also looking for informations about my father. He was at 2 AOS Edmonton between around June and July 1944. I'm writing a book about him and need documentation, why not, pictures from his training.
    We have the chance to meet still alive two of those AOS members in Belgium.
    My father: Gilbert Hector Julian, Belgian, RAF service number: 1899848

Thank you for any help,

Michel Van De Velde

Thanks

NEIL,

Would you have na e-mail for contact, please?

Adriano S. Baumgartner (baumgartner_asv@yahoo.com.br)

Thanks

entaylor

No 2 Air Observer School - Edmonton Note original date 2014

If still interested I have biographic details of Sgt James Graham Rogers RCAF Can/64728 who attended the above in 1940 until his death 30 July 41 returning in Hampden AE242 from Cologne.

My family research on my father, a Hampden pilot, brought to light from various sources the bio details. However I have been unable to contact the Rogers family and therefore will not openly release all the info I have on a public forum. The last contact with the Rogers family was a letter from the mother of Sgt Rogers to my father in 1948.

I am contactable through the private message facility if you want to send an email link.

John

Thanks

Hi,

I suspect my great uncle from the RAF trained there in April 1942, though i am not certain. Is there any chance you can help me validate this?

Quote Originally Posted by entaylor View Post
    I am researching the people, aircraft and events associated with No. 2 Air Observers School which was based at Edmonton, Alberta, Canada during WW2. If any of you have information on instructors or pupils at this school, specific training aircraft (they utilized Ansons) or know of accidents, incidents or events that transpired at No 2 AOS, I would appreciate receiving the info for inclusion in my database.

I am also the newsletter editor for the Alberta Aviation Museum located in Edmonton, so any information I receive, I would like to share with the museum (with the consent of those who reply of course). Thanks.

Thanks

Good morning , hoping someone can help me clarify an aspect of my Dad's R.C.A.F. service. After Manning Depot Dad was sent to the No.2 Air Observers School, but when finished when off to I.T.S. as a pilot. Is this not unusual? I thought pilots were earmarked in Manning Depot and sent off directly to I.T.S. Also looking for info on No.2 AOS, what they learned , living conditions , types of aircraft used etc.
    Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Clint.