Thread: Colour Strike Photos

Thanks

Default Colour Strike Photos

In his photo album dad has black and white strike photos for many of his operations but there are none for some of the later ones. It turns out that dad had all of exact same black and white strike photos that are present in Library and Archives Canada collection. So where are the rest?

I have had a conversation about this with a Forum Member off-line and he mentioned that a/c were carrying colour cameras. Beginning in December 1944, the 64-Base ORB Summaries record that colour cameras were carried on a/c

"Since the introduction of colour on operations we had only been fitting one-quarter of the cameras with colour, but this month, Bomber Command asked for as many colours as possible to be used, which greatly increases the work in the section."
    http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...28/325?r=0&s=3
    ...and there are references to colour film and in the ORB summaries for January and February as well.
    January:
    "All operations for this month consisted of night mission with 50% of the aircraqft carrying colour. Very little ground detail was obtained on the black and white photographs on the colour strips by T.I. markers and fires."
    http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...28/360?r=0&s=3
    I do not know what is meant by "colour strips"

The absence of black and white strike photos for some of dad’s operations could be because his a/c was carrying a colour camera for those particular operations. I wonder if there may be colour strike photos at Kew? The absence of these at Library and Archives Canada might be due to the cost/scarcity of colour positive film. There probably only a few positive prints that were ultimately developed? Perhaps the Negatives are available within the colour negatives collection in Library and Archives Canada for Middleton St. George?

Edit: I should add that I have not been able to find any examples of these online, or anywhere else for that matter.,

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 13th February 2020 at 17:37.

Thanks

Hi Jim,

It sometimes takes them a while to get back to you but the results are usually worth it.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/service...-question.aspx

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Skimmed 150 Sqn ORB yesterday and it mentioned the use of Kodachrome (or was it Kodacolour) and this was about 1944 and it said the results were good. I assume illumination was by photoflash but it would have shown the TI colours well. As I write this I am now thinking it might have been 149 as I perused both yesterday.

If it was Kodachrome that would have been colour slides, not sure if they were around then or if Kodachrome became slides later. Too lazy to go back and revisit!

Sorry about the vagueness but it registered only as a "oh that's interesting" before clicking on the next 200 pages.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alieneyes View Post
    Hi Jim,

It sometimes takes them a while to get back to you but the results are usually worth it.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/service...-question.aspx

Regards,

Dave
    Thanks Dave. Richard has been my source on this and he has not been able to locate these,for all of his hard work and research. However, PNK’s comment on Kodachrome, has struck an “Ah Hah”. Of course! We might need to look for colour positive slides of some sort, since prints have to date been elusive.

Edit: Dave, thanks for your suggestion. Perhaps a question to L&A Canada on colour positive slides from Middleton St. George might provide a useful response.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 13th February 2020 at 19:36.

Thanks

Hello

I've seen a couple of times some colour strike photos in books, but I didn't think they were of high quality. There were only hints of colour from the Target Indicators (Red glow, Green glow) but as these pictures were taken at night, they couldn't be very coloured. I don't remember in which book(s) I have seen them.

I might be interesting to check the Australian War Memorial pictures Library, they have a large collection of pictures as well.

Joss

Thanks

I suspect a certain amount of reciprocity failure must have occurred due to the mixture of artificial (photoflash) light and background darkness.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I suspect that they would use a higher ASA Black and White film at night than during the day and that it would provide better imaging than slower colour films...just my guess. Still it would be interesting to see what this would reveal. The 64 Base ORB for February 1945: “Some very interesting results were secured on the colour film that was carried on 50% of the aircraft on operations.

http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...28/392?r=0&s=3

Jim