Thread: IFF Indentification friend or foe

Thanks

Default IFF Indentification friend or foe

Hi,

after reading a bit about IFF it seems to me that in 1943 bombers of Bomber Command had the system on board and chain home radar stations have sent pulses and received pulses back from the aircraft.

Can anybody tell me if in 1943 the a/c also used the system to identify other a/c? In other words, did the a/c send the interrogator pulse to identify other a/c or did only chain home staions (and maybe ships) do this?

Thanks.

Best

Marcel

Thanks

I have not come across any mention of this as the blip would appear on the radar screen only, at least on the early versions of IFF. It's possible that night fighters with radar may have had the capability but I suspect the wavelengths were different.

I do know that in the summer of 1940 most training aircraft were not fitted with IFF and were not allowed to venture to far to the east and certainly not out to sea as they would be indistinguishable from hostile aircraft. One of the reasons all training was moved west until much later in the war.

Thanks

Hi Marcel, the I.F.F. signal required an interrogator, which bomber aircraft didn't carry (so no air-to-air recognition for the bombers). ADGB and RN GCI and both Fighter Command and German Air Force night-fighters had very good interrogators, and German Ground stations could interrogate I.F.F. over hundreds of miles (and switch it on if in 'stand-by' mode). The latter was predicted in 1941, but no action was taken until proof positive was finally acquired by 192 squadron on 5 Jan '44.

Richard

Thanks

Hi,
    thanks for your answers to my thread. You confirm what I have read and what I think.
    Best
    Marcel