Thread: Wartime Maritime Aircraft Losses

Thanks

Default Wartime Maritime Aircraft Losses

I am just coming to the end of producing a book and am looking for a new topic to keep me out of the pub and away from the rubbish on TV.

Several years ago the first volume of a book on Coastal Command losses was published by Ross McNeill but I seem to recall that there might have been some difficult with his publisher and this prevented the publication of further volumes.

I have no wish to step on any ones' toes but what is the status with Ross's work. If it is still extant, then I'll look to cover some other aspect of - say - army coop.

Incidentally, a friend who has just published an autobiography, suggested I did the same. The title he (unkindly) proposed was: "The Ramblings of an Incontinent Airman". When I commented that he meant 'incompetent', he said he was right the first time!!!!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin,
    "Lost At Sea - Aircraft Losses in The Atlantic Ocean 1939-45" (or is that too close to Ross' work?).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Ross McNeill's Coastal Losses Vol 1 was published by "Midland Publishing" after Midland Counties were bought out by Ian Allan and then I believe Ian Allan are now out of business? My recollection is that Ross has said at some point that he could not publish Vol 2 because MP/Ian Allan had a copyright on the layout/page design that has been used for all the Losses series. However Vol 1 of Mediterranean Bomber Losses by David Gunby and Pelham Temple was published by Midland and now Air Britain have published Vol 2 using all the original layout/page design including covers etc.

No offence Colin but it would be very nice to see Ross' Vol 2 published to match Vol 1... Have you considered going back before 1939?

Steve

Thanks

Thank you both for your comments. I haven't thought to go back before 1939 but I would not wish to take the work of anybody else, unless we were in some sort of partnership/agreement. It follows that only if Ross is not taking his work forward or we join forces, would I consider doing the coastal topic

If both Ian Allan and MP are out of business, who would hold the copyright? Furthermore, it seems strange that can have copyright on a page design. A change of font, some tweaks elsewhere might resolve that.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

on wrong thread :-(

My 2 penneth

I would check with Ross if he is prepared to license/release his original data (with credit) to you to use - I would suggest if you follow the format of your Lost To Service series then any 'look and feel' issues would go away - You can prove that you have been using your look and feel for a number of years with no complaint - and also no one would ever claim you would be doing this for commercial gain!

Ross' data would need to be re-appraised again n light of new material since publication

On this web site Alex Smart has been issuing a Coastal Command loses pages - so some raw material is already in public domain -

All saying I would like the following please Santa Cummings

1) Inter-War losses book - I have a crude Excel for this already
    2) Coastal Command losses
    3) Far East losses
    4) Middle East Fighter Losses

Kind Regards

Paul

Thanks

All,

Plenty of food for thought.

Now so that I can finish the bl?*dy book about training losses, who is the expert who can help with losses of RAF owned/leased stuff in the USA 1943-45: Mirelees having already been searched?????????????????

Colin

Thanks

Colin, I am really not sure, what is wrong with the pub. Anyway, regarding losses, I am wondering about such projects and future of such paper publications. Above all such massive undertakings are never complete, and need amendments and corrections all the time. Then publishers want to keep that most compact, despite of more information available. So, perhaps a computer/internet format should be a better solution? Of course such a database could be easily converted into a printable file and printed on demand.
    https://www.facebook.com/Franciszek-Grabowski-241360809684411/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post
    I would check with Ross if he is prepared to license/release his original data (with credit) to you to use - I would suggest if you follow the format of your Lost To Service series then any 'look and feel' issues would go away - You can prove that you have been using your look and feel for a number of years with no complaint - and also no one would ever claim you would be doing this for commercial gain!
    +1 Colin has a unique format and that should resolve any format copyright issues

All saying I would like the following please Santa Cummings

1) Inter-War losses book - I have a crude Excel for this already
    2) Coastal Command losses
    3) Far East losses
    4) Middle East Fighter Losses
    Cant speak for ALL Far East Losses, but I call dibs on SEAC Losses :)

Thanks

Jagan

of course you are covering SEAC - How could I forget

Paul