Thread: LACW Comley, Irene - 421514 - Died 23/3/42 - Buried Pant Cemetery Merthyr

Thanks

Default LACW Comley, Irene - 421514 - Died 23/3/42 - Buried Pant Cemetery Merthyr

Hello everyone,

I have found many non aircrew casualties as for instance in the title above and I was wondering how I would find out the demise of this person and other personnel likewise.

I mean was it due to an air raid on an RAF Base or was it due to an accident or such like?

Any information would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

Steve.

Thanks

Hi Steve
    What I can add is that her death is registered at Hendon, with her age given as 22 (CWGC has it as unknown).The bulk of the Luftwaffe had by then gone to Russia but London was still being raided and Hendon was an active Airfield as well as a district in N London. She could thus have been an Air Raid casualty or the victim of accident or illness.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Steve,

It might be worth obtaining her death certificate, as that usually records the cause of death.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Steve
    As a footnote to what I put earlier I have found that there was a Hospital at Colindale, very close to Hendon Airfield and which treated RAF patients. This came from Brian Cull's book Diver..... where he reports that there were many RAF casualties, incl WAAF's from a later V1 hit.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default LACW Comley, Irene - 421514 - Died 23/3/42 - Buried Pant Cemetery Merthyr

Hi Dick and Lyffe,

Thanks for the pointers on this matter, will check up on what you proposed, cheers.

Steve.

Thanks

Thanks for the plug, Dick!

Yes, my latest book 'Diver! Diver! Diver!' is at long last out. Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers
    Brian