Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dieppe Raid ASR Operations

Thanks

Default Dieppe Raid ASR Operations

During research of the Dieppe raid I've been trying to identify which vessels recovered aircrew and wonder if anybody can fill in any gaps.

PO A. Scott (245 Sqn) -C.04.45, possibly died of wounds after being recovered by a Newhaven based HSL.
    PO A.E. Snell (43 Sqn) -C.05.00 recovered by a RN LCP and later transferred to a LCF (LCF1?)
    S/Lt Kerlon (340 Sqn) -C.05.25 recovered a a 'Naval Launch' after only five minutes in water.
    PO P.C. McGillicuddy (418 Sqn) }
    Sgt W.L. Buchanan (418 Sqn) }-All recovered by ST422. McGillicuddy died next day.
    Sgt C.G. Scott (418 Sqn) }
    2nd Lt J. Greiner (331 Sqn) -C.07.00 recovered by 'Motor Launch' after ten minutes in water.
    PO J. Baker (87 Sqn) -C.07.50 recovered by RN MGB after landing on forecastle of it.
    Sgt L. Senour (88 Sqn) -C.07.50 recovered by HMS Prince Charles.
    F/Sgt S.C. Creagh (610 Sqn) -C.08.20 recovered by MGB317.
    Lt S. Junkin (309th FS) -C.09.00 recovered by MGB312.
    Sgt E.R. Davies (19 Sqn) -09.30 recovered by 'convoy' (landing craft of 8th LCA Flotilla?)
    PO G.B. Fetrow (121 Sqn) -09.30 recovered by LCA of 8th LCA Flotilla.
    F/Sgt W.F. Aldcorn (412 Sqn) -C.10.30 (?) recovered by motor launch (possibly HSL117)
    F/Lt F.E. Clarke (414 Sqn) -11.10 recovered by landing craft and transferred to HMS Calpe.
    PO D.R. Morrison (410 Sqn) -11.15 recovered by HSL177.
    Adjt R. Darbins (340 Sqn) -C.11.00 (?) recovered by HSL, but died before reaching hospital?
    Lt B. Chandler (309th FS) -C.11.30 recovered by ASR launch and then transferred to MGB312.
    Sgt J. Lofsgaord (332 Sqn) -C.12.00 recovered by 'RN gunboat' and landd ashore one hour later (possibly MGB312 or ML194).
    Sgt C.H. Evans (91 Sqn) -C.12.15 recovered by MA/SB31.
    Sgt E.N. McQuaiq (64 Sqn) -Recovered dead from dinghy and later buried at sea (possibly from ML292 which reported recovering a dead pilot).
    F/Lt J.L.W. Ellacombe (253 Sqn) -C.13.20 recovered by LCA188.
    S/Ldr C.G. Peterson (71 Sqn) -C.13.30 recovered by HSL186.
    FO M.G. McPharlin (71 Sqn) -c.13.30 recovered by RN vessel commanded by S/Lt Cansick'.
    PO D.I. Stevenson (175 Sqn) -C.13.40 recovered by ORP Slazak.
    F/Lt J.S. Fifield (616 Sqn) -C.13.45 recovered by 'navy motor launch'.
    F/Lt J. Niven (602 Sqn) -C.13.45 (?) recovered by ML193 and transferred to LCF6.
    Sgt O. Djonne (332 Sqn) -14.30 recovered by SGB9.
    Lt R.A. Berg (331 Sqn) -C.14.50 recovered by ML190.
    S/Ldr W.R. Duncan-Smith (64 Sqn) -15.25 recovered by MA/SB24.
    PO W.R. Lightbourne (501 Sqn) -C.15.10 recovered by a 'small vessel' and later transferred to a larger vessel (SGB9?)
    Sgt F.H. Tyrrell (111 Sqn) -C.14.35 recovered by HSL186 (after spending five hours in a dinghy).

Any updates/corrections to the above gratefully received.

Regards

Steve Pegge

Thanks

Hi Steve

There is a description of ASR operations for Dieppe in "Shot Down and In The Drink" by Pitchfork (about 4 pages but most of it focuses on Morrison). It states that 13 airmen were rescued by HSL during the day but doesn't go into individual details.

However, as regards

"PO D.R. Morrison (410 Sqn) -11.15 recovered by HSL177."

Firstly, he was 401, not 410, Squadron. And the book states that the squadron took off at 13.30, and had been over Dieppe for half an hour before he was shotdown (so after 14.30). Morrison was awarded a DFC for helping in the rescue of crew members of HSL 123 and 122, which were attacked and sunk buy German aircraft.

His DFC citation:

Acting Flight Lieutenant Donald Robert MORRISON, D.F.M. (Can/J.15475), Royal Canadian Air Force, No. 401 Squadron.
    This officer has displayed great skill and tenacity in air operations and has destroyed 15 hostile aircraft. His gallantry was amply demonstrated on i occasion when, a few minutes after being picked up by a rescue launch in the North Sea, after being compelled to leave his damaged aircraft by parachute, he plunged overboard and rescued a naval rating from drowning. Flight Lieutenant Morrison's conduct was worthy of high praise.

It should be noted that the "naval rating" was infact LAC Albert Dargue, who received a BEM for his part in the rescues.

1331108 Leading Aircraftman Albert Dargue, Royal Air Force.
    Leading Aircraftman Dargue was Nursing Orderly on a High Speed Launch during the combined operations on igth. August, 1942. In spite of wounds, he endeavoured to carry out first-aid to the wounded until he was picked up in a seriously wounded condition. The courage and valuable services Tendered by Leading Aircraftman Dargue are typical of the high qualities displayedby the nursing orderlies, who have carried out hazardous operations in High Speed Launches which play an essential part in air /sea rescue.

A
    Last edited by Amrit; 5th December 2007 at 20:55. Reason: formatting

Thanks

Amrit,

Thanks for that, yes I knew he was from 401 Sqn (a typo on my part, I guess the perils of making a post after a week at work).

According to post raid reports ASR vessels from Newhaven recovered ten aircrew (one of whom died onboard and another who died on the way to hospital), whlist vessels from Dover recovered another four (including one who was already dead).

A further three were recovered by a tender from Littlehampton (the 418 Sqn Boston crew).

As the list shows others were recovered by the naval force.

Regards

Steve

Thanks

Steve
    Where have you found data on particular vessels recovering airmen? I have never looked for such data but need to, and I would appreciate any information where to search.
    Franek

Thanks

Franek,

It's difficult to list my sources as they are wide and varied after six years of research. They are a compliation of Squadron ORB's, Post raid RAF and Combined Operations HQ reports, Naval station logs (particularly Dover) and individual histories.

Is your interest in the Dieppe raid or is it with ASR operations in general?

Regards

Steve

Thanks

Steve
    I have some cases of Polish aircraft sunk into the Channel and I would like to know who rescued them and if any ASR reports survived. I have never researched the area, so I prefer to ask where to go.
    Franek

Thanks

Franek,

Unfortunately I've been able to find little surviving documentation for the ASR squadrons, but did better with the Marine Units. You might want to try the AIR29 series in which I found some information on the activities of 28 (Dover) and 29 (Newhaven) ASR/MCU's. (Covering August 1942 AIR 29/445 and 29/446).

You might also want to try the War Diaries for Portsmouth and Dover (both in the ADM199 series). The Dover one did have quite a lot of detail for the 19/8/42, but that may have been because it was an extremely busy day. (Covering August 1942 ADM 199/417 and 199/421).

The information was a bit patchy, but you might find what you are looking for.

Regards

Steve

Thanks

Default Dieppe raid ASR operations (abbreviations)

Hello Steve,
    What stands for:
    LCA - LCF - LCP - MA/SB - ORP - SGB and ST ?
    Thanks and regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

For Henk
    LC= Landing craft
    A=Assault
    F=Flak
    P=Personnel
    These come from a Stationary Office Publication about the Normandy Landings but I think the terminology goes back before Dieppe.
    ST= Seaplane Tender(2 or 3 of these were lost off Dunkirk at the same time as the Abukir that figured in an earlier post of yours) and were used to service RAF Flying Boats throughout the war, and I would guess the GB is Gunboat.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default Dieppe Raid ASR (Abbreviations)

Thanks Dick. Let's see what Steve has for MA/SB - ORP and (S)GB.
    Regards,
    Henk.