Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interpretainon of terms/initials used on my fathers record as a WWII RAF Pilot

Thanks

Ian - I viewed the 'Awarded' as the RAF way of saying that he now qualified for and was entitled to 4 and then 5 years 'WS9' - but not necessarily paid to him at that time.

Thanks

An extract from an F543 'Miscellaneous' section - 'WSI' (War Service Increment) details written in similar format and with the same info.Written in conjunction with 'Prog Pay' (Progressive Pay = adjustment to cater for increases in pay and allowances since start of engagement ??)

'wef' = With Effect From

Thanks

Once again thankyou bvs and I think you have cracked it. Looking at the
    F543 'Miscellaneous'
    entry you sent gave me a lightbulb moment. What I was reading as WS9 is surely WS with a very flouncy "I" which certain looks like a "9". So "War Service Increment" it is. You also seem to have solved the "PROG PAY" query.
    That just left a question hanging over "LTI" and my older sister seems to have answered that one. She was born in a maternity home in St.Albans to where our mother was evacuated from London when she was expecting - She recalls the story that the other women were highly jealous that her handsome RAF pilot husband would regularly visit when their men were who-knew-where ! Is didn't take me long to find that the Central Link Trainer School was only 9miles away in Boreham Wood. He then spent a year Instructing pilots how to tow a Horsa glider with a Stirling Bomber. Possibly only marginally safer than bombing Berlin?
    Thankyou once again
    Ian

Thanks

Excellent Ian.
    Yep the handwriting varies enormously,the 543 image I posted above obviously had 3 different clerks who completed the WSI entries,the 3 + 4 year WSI's are very clear but the 5 year entry is almost completely illegible,it is only the other 2 entries which give a clue as to what it actually is :)
    The WSI would be paid (weekly ?) with his normal pay.

Increments were still around when I was in the RAF (1970-83),paid at the 9 and 12 year points for us non commissioned 'erks'.