Thread: Need help ID'ing Sq.Ldr.-Pilot, DSO and DFC recipient, N. Africa, Europe, and Burma

Thanks

Default Need help ID'ing Sq.Ldr.-Pilot, DSO and DFC recipient, N. Africa, Europe, and Burma

Hello all! I'm a first time poster here. I collect WWII militaria and I've had in my collection for many years now the uniform grouping belonging to a pilot. Unfortunately the uniform is not named but I've finally decided to get around to trying to see if I can ID who it might have belonged to. The officer was a Sq.Ldr, a pilot, and received the following awards:

-DSO
    -DFC
    -1939-1945 Star
    -Aircrew Europe Star w/ rosette
    -Africa Star
    -Burma Star
    -Defence Medal
    -War Medal w/ MiD
    -GSM (1918)
    -Air Efficiency Award

I've tried using some online resources to find some matches based off of the information I have to try and find an ID but haven't had too much luck. Using the WWII Unit Histories & Officers site I've found a few possible matches. A few names are James Yorke Wade, Michael Hugh Constable-Maxwell, and Derek John Aubrey Roe. Based off of the AE award this leads me to believe this officer served in the RAFVR, of which the latter two officers I listed did not to my knowledge. I also understand that the WWII Unit Histories site is probably not an exhaustive reference and probably has missing information as well.

I know this is a long shot but I figured I'd ask. I appreciate your time and assistance with this!

-Mike

Thanks

Default Re: Need help ID'ing Sq.Ldr.-Pilot, DSO and DFC recipient, N. Africa, Europe, and Bur

I was looking at this uniform earlier today and in the jacket and trousers on the clothing tags there was the number 806391 stamped on them. This might just be some kind of laundry number for the tailor but I was also wondering if it was a service number as well. Anyone know any good resources to search for service numbers for RAF personnel or be able to look this number up? Thanks!

Thanks

Default Re: Need help ID'ing Sq.Ldr.-Pilot, DSO and DFC recipient, N. Africa, Europe, and Bur

Hello,

Here is one possibility - no more than that. (there are probably a few others that would qualify):

https://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Cameron_N.htm

Another possibility, is: 740095 Harbourne Mackay STEPHEN (RAFVR), (78851) DSO, DFC, AE (No suggestion this is a complete listing of Stephen's Honours/Awards).

Chase up the service numbers here: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 6th May 2020 at 07:27.