Thread: WW2 Crashes near Earls Colne

Thanks

Default WW2 Crashes near Earls Colne

Hi,

A newbie here - I am helping a friend identify a potential crash site near Earls Colne, Essex airfield. Are there any online maps/databases of known crash sites?

Thanks

Thanks

Welcome Gonker,

Sorry I cannot help, but it would be useful to others if you could provide the probable time frame of the incident.

Brian

Thanks

Gonker44, Welcome,
    If you go to Malcom Barrass' RAFWEB site (https://rafweb.org/Stations/Stations-E.htm#Earls Colne), and pull up the history of Earls Colne you get a list of Units that were at EC at various times. If know the date (as Lyffe suggests) then that will narrow down your search a bit more. You will then be able to look up the Unit ORB (assuming it is British!) in the TNA (either on-line, or when it re-opens!). I don't know how you go about doing the same thing if the Unit was an American one (but there are those on this forum who do!). You can also search the local newspapers at whatever time it occurred. There is also the local Police, and Coroner's, records. All tiny pieces of the jig-saw! The trick is to get them to fit together!! Expert help is available on the forum!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

many thanks to both of you - I am at the early stages of this, and the current lockdown restricts me from further face:face investigation so will be carrying on internet research & will revert! Thanks again

Thanks

Gonker44, Do you know the timeframe you are searching for? Or Not? An answer is appreciated either way..

Thanks

Sorry, not yet got that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jagan View Post
    Gonker44, Do you know the timeframe you are searching for? Or Not? An answer is appreciated either way..