Thread: RAF personnel lost at sea

Thanks

Default RAF personnel lost at sea

Hello,

In our local cemeteries on the french sea-side we have lot of graves of airmen, seamen, military personnel buried, mainly killed at sea during the evacuation of June 1940, and I was wondering concerning RAF if the number of its personnel lost during all the war at sea is know ? I Believe quite a lot were lost in Atlantic convoys, being torpedoed ….

Thank you for your comment !

Alain .

Thanks

Alain,

Are you referring just to those lost whilst sailing or working on ships, or including those lost during aircraft operations over the sea? Also do you mean any theatre of war or just the North Atlantic?

I hasten to add I have no idea of the number, although I doubt very much any attempt has been made to provide the statistic you seek. There are probably some records for specific ships, for example the 239 RAFVR personnel believed to have been lost on HMT Lancastria on 17 June 1940 (http://www.lancastria.org.uk/victim-list/) but that is an exception rather than a rule.

Brian

Thanks

Hello Brian,

I refer to those lost during their transport, on all the theatre of war , I think they must have been quite a number unfortunately ….We have a lot of Lancastria men here in our cemeteries ….I do not know if all these men are been add with with the other….I do not know how many RAF personnel was killed during the war, any idea ?

Alain

Thanks

Dear Alain
    We have one RAF man on our village war memorial who died from natural causes while en route to the Far East on board the troopship Duchess of Richmond. He was buried at sea.
    https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...ilfred-arthur/
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Hi Alain,

Bonjour Alain, long time no talk, about 6500 RAAF personnel were killed in WWII, with about 5400 killed in the European theatre alone. Most Aussies who trained in Canada crossed the Atlantic on either the Queen Mary or Elisabeth but I’m sure some would have been lost in the crossing in other vessels.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Alain, if you would try our DB of casualties with the keyword "Runnymede" as for Runnymede Memorial you would get over 20k records

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...e=&qforce=&qt=

I know not all of them went missing over the sea but I would say the majority would fit. So you can narrow your search by other criteria.
    And this is just one of the memorials worldwide...

HTH

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thank you to all,

Merci Pavel, hello John, hello James, I shall dig more, I Believe that over 69000 RAF personnel were killed during the war, whom 55000 in Bomber Command …..It is difficult to appreciate this in view of our world of now ……
    I send you all my friendship in this difficult time that we all live today, but finally so more easy compared to the one lived by our relatives during this long war more than 70 years ago …..

Alain .

Thanks

And our best wishes to you, Alain.