Thread: 20 Squadron RAF Burma WW2

Thanks

Default 20 Squadron RAF Burma WW2

My father, Ed Fockler (RCAF) flew with 20 Squadron RAF in Burma from '42 through '45. I recently returned from a visit with one of the pilots who flew there, Jim Ashworth of Invermere, Canada and had a great discussion with him. Does anyone know if there are any other pilots alive from this squadron. I have tracked down most of them. There was one in Solihull, England, Alan Sammons who I can't determine if he passed. Probably unlikely there are any others.
    John Fockler

Thanks

John, Are you in touch with Norman Roberson? Norman is, i think, the historian for the 20 Squadron association. He had published their history and maintained records of all veterans. He used to keep track of all the veterans alive . The last i corresponded with him was in 2016. His email njroberson (At the rate) tiscali.co.uk

Thanks

Hi, John,

Alan Sammons succumbed to Alzheimer's on 5 January 2013. I knew him because of my research into Rangoon Jail, where he and some men I'd followed were incarcerated. In 1994 ex-159 Sqn wireless op/air gunner Don Lomas, his wife, and I visited with Alan and his wife in Solihull after a 159 Squadron reunion. Alan and Don, both survivors from Rangoon Jail, had not seen each other since 1945. Alan's son informed me of his dad's illness and eventual passing. See excerpts of two emails from this son, Donald, below. Very sorry. I might have some further info for you, though -- from Alan's memoir. Your dad is mentioned, though the memoir primarily covers Alan's POW experiences. If you need a copy of this memoir, which I typed up, or Alan's son Donald's email address (not sure that it is still current), contact me at feb2944 AT aol DOT com.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
    From Donald Sammons, 23 Dec 2010
    Hello Matt,

My father is still alive and suffering from advanced Alzheimers and extreme deafness. He was born in Plaistow, London. His father was born in Essex and his mother was born in Norfolk. My mother is also still alive - a full-time carer for my father. Her father and mother were both born in London.

Best wishes from Donald

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Sent: Sat, Jan 5, 2013 4:20 pm
    Subject: dad
    Hello Matt,

Sorry to inform you that my father, Alan Bernard Sammons, born 2 November 1922, died at about 18.30 hrs Saturday 5 January in Solihull hospital. He is no longer suffering with dementia, severe hearing problems and other medical problems. He can now rest in peace.

Donald Sammons

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Regards,

Matt Poole
    Last edited by Matt Poole; 29th March 2020 at 13:30. Reason: Tidying up

Thanks

Thankk you. I will try him

That is very helpful. I have a letter that Alan wrote to my Dad after the war and I think Donald would enjoy reading it. My e-mail is jfocklerATtelus.net if you could send it. Thank you
    Last edited by Jagan; 30th March 2020 at 13:19.

Thanks

In 2005, while researching for my book I was given a list of 20 Squadron Association members who had been with the squadron in the period 1945-48. At that time there were just two Hurricane pilots on the list - Ron Hubbard and Mike Deasy. I was unable to contact Ron Hubbard but it turned out Mike Deasy lived not far from my parents. He was an extremely nice man who was proud of his time on Hurricanes yet very modest. Sadly he passed away shortly after I met him.

Thanks

Thanks. My dad flew with both of these pilots and had a reunion in '85 where they met up again. What is your book?

Thanks

Hi John,

Book is “Rapid Rundown”. Mike Deasy left 20 Sqn just as they were converting to Spitfire Viii aircraft, so was slightly too early to contribute to the book., which covers the postwar period. There is a fair bit on the squadron activities on spitfire XIV and Tempests.
    Simon

Thanks

Default Re: 20 Squadron RAF Burma WW2

John had very kindly contributed photographs from his father's collection - these are now hosted on our site at

http://www.rafcommands.com/galleries...Wesley-FOCKLER

I am working on the captions and in the process of uploading an account provided by John.. in the meantime - enjoy the photos.