Thread: Canadian Joint Staff (CJS) Washington

Thanks

Default Canadian Joint Staff (CJS) Washington

Hi,

I would like to ask our Canadian friends if anyone can help me with some details about Canadian Joint Staff (CJS) in Washington.

I am interested in the place where based, if it was only administrative units and if there are known the commanders for period of Aug- Nov 1950?

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel,

First set up in July,1942 and headed by Major General Maurice Pope.

Now known as the Canadian Defence Liaison Staff, Washington and located in the Canadian Embassy there.

No idea who ran it in 1950 but in 1952 Vice Admiral Harry DeWolf was Commander.

If it followed the tradition that is followed there today the three services would take turns and every three years a new head was appointed.

Dave

Thanks

Hi Dave,

thanks a lot for your reply.
    So it means something like military attaché and it means that three years there will be an RCAF head, then Navy and then Army head? (We have no Navy and air force is part of the army so it is more simply in our army:-)

But anyway my RCAF man was only W/C and was posted there for three month only so it was some kind of Temporary Duty only.

Thanks once more

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi again Pavel,

Canada has had an amalgamated military since 1968. No longer any RCAF, RCN or army but the three branches still have their own uniforms with the air side adopting army ranks.

CDLS has one overall commander and those were the ones who switched services every three years. They still have army, navy and air attachés who come under CDLS.

When I lived there the first time in the 70s Major General Gordon Ockenden was the commander CDLS. The same F/O Ockenden, DFC of 443 Squadron fame

Dave