Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3 title Self-Isolation reading list challenge

Thanks

Hi Clint

Top of my list every time would be Middlebrook's "Nuremberg Raid", a great mix of overview, explanation and personal anecdotes.

Next, how about Max Hastings' "Bomber Command"? I read that years ago and found its 'big picture' covering the entire war very helpful. From the beginnings of early raid attempts in 1939/40 right through to the final, far more 'professional' pulverising raids of '44/45.

Then maybe a look from the other side: Peter Hinchliffe's "The Lent Papers" - a biography of Helmut Lent the German nightfighter ace. (Or his book on Schnaufer too).

Just my two-pennyworth

Ian

Thanks

Thank you all gentlemen, my reading list has now doubled in size!
    Richard, I think your suggestion of Winged Victory is brilliant....for understanding the psychological toll that air combat takes on a young man, there is no better book. The last line of the book I found gutwrenchingly tragic - it stuck with me for 30 years...when I re-read it recently I couldn't help thinking of my Dad arriving back in Halifax on Christmas day 1944.
    Ian, interesting you mention Max Hastings - it was one of the first books I read on the subject, and I have to say I was put off by his treatment of Dominion aircrew - kind of spoiled an otherwise fine book for me. I just felt he pushed the "wild colonial boy" angle a bit far.
    As far as the Overy book goes, I must say I don't have a problem with books that are critical of B.C. - I think Terraine does a fine job. He pulls no punches in his criticism of B.C. decisions, wishful thinking, etc, but he is FAIR and puts everything into context. Overy doesn't in my opinion - which is strange, as his book Why The Allies Won praises B.C. and the role it played in winning the War. I don't know what caused what seems like an almost 180 degree turn in his attitude.
    All the best, Clint

Thanks

Hi Clint

Yes I think I can recall some of Max Hastings' stuff about the Dominion aircrew - particularly the Canadians, if I recall correctly. No slight was intended, I'm sure. Your lads' (and all the others' of course) contribution was invaluable. Sincerest thanks to all of them.

Ian

Thanks

Perhaps readers won't mind some little thread drift at this point...

"Terraine does a fine job. He pulls no punches in his criticism of B.C. decisions, wishful thinking, etc, but he is FAIR and puts everything into context"
    Wholly agree. Likewise Jones: direct, intimate, expert knowledge, fairly presented.
    His account of the misguided use of IFF over occupied Europe is telling and fair.
    As too his account of the eventual and successful operational use of Window.
    A remarkable man, and Most Secret War a remarkable book.

"Dominions"
    At least 135 men of the Commonwealth served with No 211 Squadron RAF over the years 1938 to 1946.
    At least 99 Australians, and 22 Canadians, 8 New Zealanders, 3 South African, 3 Southern Rhodesians (two of them brothers).

Of the 48 Australian aircrew who took part in 211 Squadron operations from 1940 to 1945, 18 lost their lives in action and one in captivity as a PoW of Japan.

Don Clark
    www.211squadron.org
    Last edited by Don Clark; 1st April 2020 at 19:24. Reason: updated
    Toujours propos