Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aircrew buried in Cemeteries in the area of Dalgow-Doeberitz, Berlin

Thanks

Default Aircrew buried in Cemeteries in the area of Dalgow-Doeberitz, Berlin

I am researching the last resting place of a British Officer who died in a German Prison Hospital in Berlin in March 1944. I am in touch with his family who have no detail about his fate. He has no known grave according to the CWGC but I have found evidence that he was buried in either the 'Heeresstandortfriedhof Döberitz' (the Army Garrison cemetery, Döberitz), just west of Berlin, or the 'Neue Kriegsgefangenen-Friedhof Döberitz-Elsgrund' (the New Prisoner of War cemetery Döberitz-Elsgrund') a few miles down the road.

The latter was created in 1942 when the former became full. The villages of Döberitz, Dallgow, Elsgrund are all in fairly close proximity and the cemetery names are sometimes confused. All allied servicemen were believed to have been exhumed post-war and re-buried in the CWGC cemetery on the Heer Str in Berlin and I am trying to determine whether the officer I am searching for was exhumed and moved there too.

I found a historic link to a thread from the late Henk Welting in which he said : "'we' had found a member of the post-war Dallgow-Döberitz community and in 1998 Mr Jan Hey obtained three pages with names of allied servicemen initially buried in that military cemetery; he worked out the list and sent me (Henk Wettin) a copy of the results".
    Does anybody know if Henk Wettin shared the results and, if so, whether they could be shared again?
    Or does anybody know Mr Jan Hey so that I can get in touch to see if he still has a copy of the results?
    Lastly, there existed, until 2009, a list of the burials made during the war at the Prisoner of War cemetery Döberitz-Elsgrund'. The list was complied by the company responsible for maintaining the cemetery (Herbert Lippold, Finkenkrug). The list was in a folder called "Gräberlisten des Kriegerfriedhof Rohrbeck Hamburger Chaussee". It was 'lost' during the refurbishment of a nearby church in which it was kept. I am told that other researchers were looking for it and wondered if anyone knows if it had been found.

I ( and the family) would be very grateful for any relevant information.
    Many thanks.
    Acorn Fox

Thanks

I'm unable to help you AF, but it would be useful to those who might be able to if you could provide the name of the officer in question. An awful lot of 'officers' died during the war so a starter for ten would be appreciated.

Brian

Thanks

Default Aircrew buried in Cemeteries in the area of Dalgow-Doeberitz, Berlin

Brian - thank you. I have extensive research notes on the officer in question right up to the point of details of his burial in one the cemeteries mentioned - as recorded by the International Tracing Service (ITS) post-war; it was the German lists of burials I was really trying to track down as collateral for the ITS information. However, his name is Captain Clement Marc JUMEAU, Army Number 202272, Intelligence Corps, serving with SOE (when captured); DPOB: 14 September 1914 in Mahé (Seychelles); died 26 March 1944 (aged 29 years) in the "Krankenabteilung des Wehrmachtsuntersuchungsgefängnisses", Berlin-Buch (Hospital Unit of the Wehrmacht Pre-Trial Detention Prison). Death certificate issued by the local municipality on 3 August 1944.

Regards

Acorn Fox

Thanks

Hello,

Jumeau was captured (for a second time), along with agent Louis Lee-Graham, after baling out of stricken No.138 Sqn Halifax II BB340 on 12-13 April, 1943 - BCL4/104.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 4th April 2020 at 16:15.

Thanks

Thank you AF, I suspect that others, like me, were thinking the casualty was an aviator (RAFVR/RAAF/RCAF etc) from the thread title. That he was Army makes it rather more difficult but I wish you every success.

For anyone not familiar with Jumeau's story this link provides some background https://www.universitystory.gla.ac.u...WH25222&type=P . There are quite a few references to the gentleman on Google.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 4th April 2020 at 16:19. Reason: Little bit of background

Thanks

Colonel Bruggy - very many thanks. I have a lot of details about him and his Wireless Operator (Capt Louis Lee-Graham) and their incarceration by the Gestapo etc. In fact, they climbed out of the wreckage of the 138 Sqn Halifax, as opposed to baling out; it was hit but crash-landed. I have some clear photos of the wreckage and some of the secret stores it was carrying - sadly these were to undermine the two officers' cover stories that they were merely Army officers returning to Malta after leave!

Regards, AF.

Thanks

Hello AF,

I obtained the information on the Jumeau/Lee-Graham bale out, from the following source:

Unearthing Churchill's Secret Army The Official List of SOE Casualties and Their Stories.
    Mace,Martin & John Grehan.
    Barnsley:Pen & Sword Military,2012.
    pp.90-1 & 200*

*References and Endnotes:

C. Jumeau.

TNA HS9/815/4.
    Inside SOE/Cookridge/Arthur Barker/1966/p.125.
    SOE in France/Foot/H.M.S.O./1966/pp.79, 169(fn) & 203.

Not a book to be read before going to bed!

See also:

A Life In Secrets: The Story of Vera Atkins and the Lost Agents of SOE.
    Helm,Sarah
    London:Little, Brown,2005.
    pp.191-2

I'll make a note in "Unearthing" and BCL4 about the error.

Thanks.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 5th April 2020 at 06:33.

Thanks

Brian - well yes and no! Early after capture (in France) when the Halifax they were flying in (out of which they expected to parachute) was shot down, he and his Wireless Operator (Capt Louis Lee-Graham) were sent to the Durchganglager at Oberursel; here their civilian clothes were taken away to be replaced by "RAF ORs" uniform. This was later taken off them when they entered Gestapo Prison for 11 months but handed back to them when transferred to another prison. Marc Jumeau went from this one to a prison hospital (where he died) so it is possible (not confirmed) that he might have been wearing RAF uniform when he was buried. He would have had no dog-tags. So on the one hand, if exhumed, he might well have been taken for Aircrew but thereagain, with no dog-tags and not being matchable to any RAF dental records (as he was Army) - he might well have been registered as an 'unknown'. A complicated scenario but one I would like to unravel for the family to bring closure, if that is possible.
    Thanks for your best wishes!
    AF

Thanks

Hi AF,

with regard to burials in the Heeresstandortfriedhof Döberitz and the Neue Kriegsgefangenen-Friedhof Döberitz-Elsgrund, there are no easy answers, I'm afraid.

I carefully went through the original cemetery registers for the Berlin 1939-45 WC, since this is where bodies from Döberitz were reinterred. Here are some statistics:

Döberitz-Elsgrund Friedhof - 260 bodies reinterred, of which 146 registered as unknowns. All but 15 of the unknowns identified as Air Force. Fourteen unknowns identified as Army and the remaining unknown was not attributed to any particular service. (note - at least four knowns were later moved from their original plots within the Berlin 1939-45 WC)

Döberitz Standortfriedhof - 281 bodies reinterred, of which 103 registered as unknowns. All but one of the unknowns identified as Air Force. The sole Army unknown died on 8 September 1941. Sixty of the unknowns recorded as Air Force have no known date of death.

Dallgow-Döberitz - a seven-man RAF/Commonwealth bomber crew reinterred, all unidentified. The information given to the MRES by locals was that the deaths occurred on "27/10/1944", which matches no known RAF losses.

Cheers

Rod

Thanks