Thread: Sidney Ainsworth 23 Squadron DFC citation request

Thanks

Default Sidney Ainsworth 23 Squadron DFC citation request

Hi,
    Can anyone shed any light on the circumstances for which Sidney Ainsworth was awarded the DFC whilst serving with 692 Squadron in 1944? (Gazetted June 13th 1944).

He had previously served with 23 squadron during the Battle of Britain.
    Many thanks in advance for any information you may be able to share.
    Regards
    Gerry

Thanks

Gerry

Check the entry in the database on the Forum here:

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...name=AINSWORTH

Regards

Simon

Thanks

It is just barely possible that a citation appeared in an Air Ministry Bulletin about that time. I have these on microfilm, but with all libraries, museums and archives currently locked down, I have no access to a microfilm reader to check. Better revive the question when semi-normalcy returns.

Thanks

Thanks Hugh for your kind offer.
    Regards
    Gerry

Thanks

As in Gerry's response:
    The KING has also been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned awards in recognition of gallantry displayed in the following circumstances:—One night in May, 1944, several crews of Mosquito aircraft were detailed for a difficult and dangerous mine-laying mission. The operation called for the highest standard of skill and accuracy. In the face of intense anti-aircraft fire, balloon defences and considerable search-light activity the attack was pressed home with great precision from low level. That complete success was achieved in spite of such hazards is a high tribute to the calm courage and iron determination shown by the following officers who participated in various capacities as leaders and members of aircraft crew:
    Distinguished Flying Cross
    Flying Officer Sidney AINSWORTH (145844), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 692 Squadron
    Fourth Supplement (LG 36560 dated 13 Jun 44) to LG dated 9 Jun 44
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Isn't that in the link I posted in post #2?

The KING has also been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned awards in recognition of gallantry displayed in ithe following circumstances: One night in May, 1944, several crews of Mosquito aircraft were detailed for a difficult and dangerous mine-laying mission. The operation called for the highest standard of skill and accuracy. In the face of intense anti-aircraft fire, balloon defences and considerable searchlight activity the attack was pressed home with great precision from low level. That complete success was achieved in spite of such hazards is a high tribute to the calm courage and iron determination shown by the following officers who participated in various capacities as leaders and members of aircraft crew.

Just wanted to check my link actually worked okay, and I hadn't messed up! :-)

Regards

Simon

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wwrsimon For This Useful Post:

Jagan (9th April 2020)

Thanks

Excuse me, but I have had an “ah-hah !” moment. Although the citation does not give a date, this was an operation on 12/13 May 1944 when 22 Mosquitos of No.8 Group attempted to block the Kiel Canal by low level mining. Intelligence had reported that flak defences on part of the canal had been removed. Twenty crews laid their mines in this stretch and one Mosquito was lost.

Going back to the London Gazette entry, I note it is a “group” citation - one text for many. It is unlikely that an Air Ministry Bulletin would have individual texts. However, I see that two members of the RCAF were included in this group award (F/O Vernon Peter Bruce Hill, F/L John Hollis Barron). Going back to their entries in the RCAF Association awards data base, I note that both men were subjects of individual recommendations, found at Kew (Air 2/9156) and dated 15 May 1944. I assume that Kew is closed at this time, but if/when it reopens you may have better luck in that document.

Thanks

]

Hello,

1003750 Sidney AINSWORTH - No.23 Sqn. BoB. Quoted Date of Death, 21.10.1975
    Men of the Battle of Britain/Wynn/Frontline,2015/p.5.
    979001-1149977 - UK enlistments, Cardington and Padgate - February-August 1940.

and

656882 Sidney AINSWORTH (145844) - DFC, 692 Sqn. Quoted Date of Death, 18.08.1978
    http://www.bbm.org.uk/airmen/Ainsworth.htm
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/3041
    655000-679889 - Transfers from Army - January 1938.

See also: https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ls/r/C15623629 - Images 261-2 of 373.

Hmmmm!

Col.
    Last edited by Jagan; 10th April 2020 at 11:57.

Thanks

Simon, My apologies. I wrongly attributed the response to Gerry rather than yourself. Regards, Terry

Thanks

No problem Terry - as I mentioned, I just wanted to check my link worked okay.

Regards

Simon