Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22 OTU Wellington IC X9935 CRASH 28/29 Jan 1942

Thanks

Default Re: 22 OTU Wellington IC X9935 CRASH 28/29 Jan 1942

Dad,

The family and I have been evacuated from Kenya and we are now lodged in a quarter in Bulford. For how long, is any one’s guess, but at least we are hale and hearty.

As an aside, I have the the service record of another 1945 courts martial recipient. He too was booted out, but there is absolutely nothing in there about his trial. I’d be interested if you do come across any further info please, but I bet you’ll struggle to get much from that particular source.

Have you tried the papers?

All the best

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Jonny,

Glad to hear that you and the family are safe and well. I have tried the papers but drew a blank.

I know there is a register of Courts Martials at TNA but having looked at it before, it just tells you the charge(s) and the finding, but no detail. I guess I could try a FOIA request specifically for GCM records as well as asking for his Service Records.

I'll let you know how I get on, I don't expect I'll get anything for a few months though.

Stay safe
    Daz

Thanks

Hello,

The crew:

Sgt R H VEARNCOMBE RCAF - KOAS
    P/O J H ROBSON RCAF - WOIOAS
    P/O T C ROBINSON RCAF - WOIOAS
    Sgt A S FLETCHER DFM RAFVR - WOIOAS
    Sgt R W DAWE RCAF - WOIOAS
    Sgt A J EDWARDS RCAF - WOIOAS

http://rafcommands.com/database/seri...php?uniq=X9935

The Times. Tuesday, March 3, 1942. p.6 (Issue 49174)

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 24th April 2020 at 09:53.

Thanks

So taking this thread a bit further, I have now identified that Sgt Fletcher was in 1943 serving with an unknown Squadron. As it will be a while before I can get his record, I only have one clue and it is a bit of a needle in a haystack but I will give it a punt.

In a newspaper article it mentions that he is serving with a NZ Warrant Officer called G Hardy, who did a tour on Wellingtons and was shot down in the North Sea and rescued from the aircraft dinghy.

Has anyone ever come across a reference to this Kiwi and the Squadrons he flew with.

Appreciate it's a very long shot but you never know

Daz

Thanks

Daz,

Here is one possibility for your "Kiwi" Hardy:

10/11 April 1943
    No.75 (NZ) Sqn
    Stirling III BF455:AA-Y
    Op: Frankfurt.

T/o 2355 Newmarket. Damaged by flak over the target and later engaged in a running battle with night-fighters. Low on fuel, the bomber was ditched in the Channel, some 3 miles off Shoreham-by-Sea, Sussex. All were picked up by an air sea rescue Walrus amphibian*. Most unusually, the crew included twin brothers, Robert Ernest and Richard Douglas Tod RCAF. Both were destined to die later in the year.

F/S C Rothschild
    Sgt E Grainger
    Sgt G Samson RNZAF
    Sgt J L Richards RNZAF
    Sgt R E Tod
    Sgt R D Tod
    Sgt H E Moss
    Sgt W A Hardy**

* No.277 Sqn Walrus W2773

** Actually, NZ401226 (later) W/O (Air Gunner) William Alfred Maxwell HARDY RNZAF (later MID), who also flew Wellington ops with 75 (NZ) Sqn.

See:BCL4/101.

See also: Another Kind Of Courage/Franks,Norman/PSL,1994/pp.61-2 & 211-212.

Oddly, one of the 277 Sqn ASR pilots involved in this rescue was one, Sgt Tom Fletcher (later 158251 DFC, DFM*).

Don't know how all this fits together, nor if it's relevant!

You will need to thoroughly search the following site: https://75nzsquadron.wordpress.com Better still contact the owner.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 12th May 2020 at 04:32.

Thanks

Col,

thanks very much I'll definitely investigate could well be the right chap.

Daz

Thanks

Col,

sadly I don't think its him, I have now found an article in the Rochdale Observer of 7th April 1943 which states the following:

“Warrant Officer G. Hardy, a New Zealander serving with the same squadron to which Sergeant A. S. Fletcher D.F.M. of Wellington Lodge, Littleborough, is attached, gave a short talk during the evening on the good work Bomber Command is doing and what it hopes to do in the near future… … … Warrant Officer hardy was surprised to find himself figuring on a photograph entitled “Bombing up a Wellington” which is included in the collection of photographs and equipment on view there. He has good reason to remember the occasion when this photograph was taken, for on the ensuing flight over Germany his ‘plane was badly shot up and Warrant Officer Hardy and his colleagues spent 70 hours in a dinghy before being rescued.”

So this article is before the event which concerns the 75 Squadron crew.

I'll keep on looking

Daz