Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pilot Officer William K Lock

Thanks

Default Re: Pilot Officer William K Lock

If William Lock was a Pilot Officer in May 1944 then William Herbert is not your man. He was promoted to Flying Officer from 15th January 1944.

The other possibility I mentioned in #2 is also not likely correct although he was a Pilot Officer in May 1944 I have rechecked his gazette entry and he was Wilfred Gordon Lock not William.

There is one Australian possibility William Robert LOCK 33163. He was a pilot and commissioned in the Australia Gazette of 2nd December 1943. Almost certainly he would still have been a Pilot Officer in May 1944.

Chris

Thanks

Chris, is it possible that his promotion was "back-dated" so to speak? Seems to have happened in e.g. 148 Sqdn in Italy in 1944/5 (promotion "w/e" + date, but more immediate records such as ORBs use existing rank for some time after the "with effect from" date - thus, hypothetically, a W/O commissioned w/e 01.01.45 but recorded in ORBs as W/O Smith for another month or two).

Apologies if this is just muddying the waters and the answer is clear! To me, your scenario re the Australian seems likeliest.

Pat

Thanks

Pat

Good point however William Herbert was promoted to Flying Officer with effect from 15th January 1944 in the Supplement to the London Gazette of 18th January 1944 published on 21st January 1944, so it was published within a short time of being effective. If William Herbert was on a UK based non operational unit such as MAEE there is no reason that five months after he would still be referred to as Pilot Officer in the ORB. That said you are right it could still be a mistake.
    It is very difficult nailing down personnel from less than complete records.

Chris

Thanks

I think you're right Chris, 5 months seems unlikely in a UK-based non-operational unit.

Thanks

For information:-
    I reported the “William Herbert/Robert Lock” AIR 78/98/23 problem to TNA as per their instructions.
    They have replied that I am right.
    There is no indication that they will do anything about it.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello,

33163 William Robert LOCK RAAF, served only in Australia and the SWPA (No.78 Sqn - Kittyhawks - Noemfor & Morotai - 8.44 - 6.45).

25-6-1942
    No.7 SFTS, Deniliquin.
    Wirraway A20-354

33163 LAC William Robert LOCK RAAF, forgot to lower his undercarriage on landing - aircraft damaged - repaired. LAC Lock uninjured. Punishment awarded - 7 days C.B., 14 days forfeiture of pay.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 29th April 2020 at 09:33.

Thanks

thanks again for your efforts. MAEE did have pre and post operational pilots, some of whom were ex pows. While I have identified most test pilots a few will remain in doubt. Just wish that in flying logs they gave initials.The history of RAF Helensburgh is important to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust and there is now a memorial on the banks of the Gareloch. Dad also served there. I will now further digest the information given through these threads. A television company has just been in touch about a possible programme of RAF Helensburgh/MAEE filming next year.