Thread: Eb217 22.10.1943

Thanks

Default Eb217 22.10.1943

Dear Gentlemen,

I'm looking for further informations about the following crash:

434 Sqn Halifax V EB217 IP-A 22.10.1943
    F/L J R Bryan RCAF pow T/o 1720 Tholthorpe.
    Sgt F Street pow Those who died are buried in Hannover
    F/O W S Sewall RCAF + War Cemetery.
    Sgt W H Burton RCAF +
    Sgt W L Morpeth +
    Sgt A W Worrad RCAF +
    Sgt D W Hall +

regards

Steve

Thanks

Default RCAF Records

Steve,

write to the Canadian archives for these RCAF airmen's records, and you should get an abundance of information.

Personnel Records Unit,
    Library and Archives Canada,
    395 Wellington Street,
    Ottawa,
    ON K1A 0N3

Brief mention here:
    http://www.rcaf434squadron.com/aircraft-serial/

http://www.rcaf.com/6group/434Noseart/pages/Poison.html

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Halifax EB217, 22/23-10-1943, crashed 12 km NE of Kassel.
    F/Lt. (Pilot) BRYAN, J.R. - C1452 - RCAF - POW in camp L1-1364
    Sgt. (Fe) STREET, F. - 1682809 - RAF - POW in camp L3-261190
    F/O. (Nav) SEWALL, William S. - J20411 - RCAF - Hannover WC (noted as first buried Wilhelmshaven, which makes you wonder about the accuracy of the crash site information)

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

Default Eb-217

A little more for you. Below is the loss of aircraft report

QUESTIONNAIRE FOR RETURNED AIRCREW
    Loss of bomber aircraft

NUMBER. C.1452
    RANK. F/Lt
    NAME. Bryan J. R.
    SQUADRON. 434
    AIRCRAFT. EB-217 WL-A
    TYPE OF AIRCRAFT. Halifax V
    DATE OF LOSS. 22/23.10.43
    TARGET. Kassel
    HOW MANY OPS. 3
    DUTY. Pilot
    DATE OF INTERROGATION. 16.5.45
    INFORMATION EXTRACTED FROM. POW report
    NARRATIVE OF EVENTS FROM TAKEOFF TO LANDING.

Weather good. Normal trip to target. One minute early - got on correct heading. One
    aircraft over target already coned - on target at time - on approach engine hit, starboard outer.
    Coned immediately as other aircraft had blown up. Dropped bombs on green flares and warned
    crew not to look at search lights. Went on instruments and took evasive action, successful before
    in search lights. Attacked from port quarter by enemy aircraft, felt aircraft being hit by shells and
    as broke away rear gunner announced he had knocked it down. A second attack took place
    immediately. Rear gunner shouted and had no further signal, went into a
    spin, controls slack and very loose. Came out approximately 12,000 feet according to witnesses
    from another squadron. Later shot down. As rear turret gunner dead and controls almost gone. I
    gave order to bale out and held aircraft level to allow crew to get out. My flt/engineer stooped
    down to pick up my chute which he carried. Aircraft was being rocked and bumped by what I
    took to be light flak (still in cone). Immediately a 3rd fighter attack came in and there was a
    terrific explosion. A cannon shell passed by the left side of my head and blew out blind flying
    panel, a second hit behind my head on the armour plate and bounced back a portion of which
    struck my flt/engineers shoulder. The aircraft began a violent spin my flt/engineer managed to
    hand me my chute. I detonated the Gee and the intercom failed. I looked back and saw
    flt/engineer gone. Pulled off helmet and straps, pushed throttles and pitch wide open to destroy
    aircraft and pulled myself down to escape hatch where I found my navigator jammed against his
    desk apparently injured but alive. I pulled his harness strap loose and wrapped it around my left
    arm and tried to get out pulling him with me. This was impossible. The aircraft then changed
    position (probably from flak) and we were pushed against escape hatch. I managed to push him
    out and was dragged with him. I saw the aircraft pass overhead. Had no difficulty in opening his
    chute. I was then jerked free and opened my own chute. Still in cone and the enemy were still
    firing so I collapsed part of my chute and got out of the cone and finally landed in forest. I saw
    my navigators boots and chute with his name on them, when I was captured and two Luftwaffe
    Staff, told me he had been murdered. The gestapo who interrogated me said his chute had not
    opened, this was a lie, I reported same in another report.

richard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Philips View Post
    Hi Steve,

Halifax EB217, 22/23-10-1943, crashed 12 km NE of Kassel.
    F/Lt. (Pilot) BRYAN, J.R. - C1452 - RCAF - POW in camp L1-1364
    Sgt. (Fe) STREET, F. - 1682809 - RAF - POW in camp L3-261190
    F/O. (Nav) SEWALL, William S. - J20411 - RCAF - Hannover WC (noted as first buried Wilhelmshaven, which makes you wonder about the accuracy of the crash site information)

Regards,

Rob
    Rob,
    First burial of F/O SEWALL was Wilhelmshausen, what is to the left of Hann.Münden and NE of Kassel. (Wilhelmshaven never would have a reinterment at Hannover).
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Dear Gentlemen,

many thanks for the comprehensive informations.

The forest F/L Bryan landed must have been the "Reinhardswald" which surrounds Wilhelmshausen, Fuldatal community, in the north and east.

Once again I'd like to thank you all for your kind help!

regards

Steve

Thanks

To Henk:

Thanks. One puzzle solved; time for new glasses.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks

Thank you for providing this information which I was able to share with my mother who was the sister of the rear gunner, Daniel William Hall. We never imagined we would get access to such a detailed account. Although I never knew him he is not forgotten nor are the other brave servicemen. Billy was unhappy about having to fly this mission. By all accounts, he did not like this plane because the rear gunner needed assistance to get out which meant that it was not easy to bail out. He had a feeling he was not coming back and said his good- byes to every at the time as if he wasn't.