Thread: Sgt Trevor Blakemore RNZAF

Thanks

Default Sgt Trevor Blakemore RNZAF

Can you help me?

I would appreciate any information on my above uncle whose plane was lost in the North Sea in WW2. I am particularly interested in the date of this loss, the type of aircraft, the purpose of the flight, the number and names of other lost crew men, the approximate location where it went down, and the name and location of its operating base.

My Uncle trained in NZ and I have a photo of him during his training with a twin engined aircraft at Levin in the North Island.

I will be nost grateul for any help received

Steve Blakemore
    Masterton
    New Zealand

Thanks

Steve,

From my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume One: Fates 1915-1942)':

"Fri 13/Sat 14 Nov 1942

Flying Training Command

Night navigation exercise: base-25 miles WSW of Bardsey Island-20 miles NE of Point Lynas-Anglesey-Thyl-Conway-base
    9 (Observers) Advanced Flying Unit, RAF (Penrhos, Caernarvonshire; satellite at Llandwrog - 25 Group)
    Anson I DJ628 - took off at 0124 from Llandwrog but did not respond to a general recall message sent at 0250 when weather deteriorated. Last heard from at 0132, DJ628 was later found to have crashed into the sea about 4 miles NW of Penrhos, killing the five crew. The bodies of three were recovered, while the pilot and another are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.
    Pilot: NZ413016 Sgt Trevor Morgan BLAKEMORE, RNZAF - Age 21. 555hrs."

The other crew members were:

Sgt John Mallett, RAFVR
    Sgt John George (Ian) Cairns, RAFVR
    LAC Ronald Adam Simpson, RAFVR
    Plt Off Keith Charman, RAFVR
    Further details about them can be found on the CWGC site at http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14

And from Vol Three (Biographies & Appendices):

BLAKEMORE, Sergeant Trevor Morgan.
    NZ413016; b Sutherlands 10 Jul 21; Pleasant Point DHS (1st XV); postman/exchange clerk - P & T Dept, Pleasant Point. RNZAF Levin/ITW as Airman Pilot u/t 25 May 41, 1EFTS 5 Jul 41, 1FTS 16 Aug 41, Pilots Badge [wef 18.10.41] & Sgt 29 Nov 41, att RAF & emb for UK 18 Dec 41, 3PRC 10 Feb 42, 3(P)AFU Mar 42, 9(O)AFU (various a/c types) as staff pilot 30 May 42 [att 1SPTU (Anson) c.6 Jun-?], kaa 14 Nov 42 (Anson). Runnymede Memorial - Panel 117. Son of William Henry & Annie Elizabeth Blakemore (née Campion), Sutherlands. [phot. TWN 3.2.43].

Those pilots who sailed with him from New Zealand for Britain were:

18 Dec 41 Largs Bay Auckland-Glasgow via PC, arr 9 Feb 42.
    RNZAF for att to RAF: 16 Pilots – died: Bennett, D; Blakemore, T M; MacKenzie, K J; McGregor, R; Robertson, M E E; Rowland, M J (i/c of draft); Sanderson, F A; (7) – survived: Fell, A L; Gollins, G T; Liddington, J G; Masters, S A B; Parish, K W; Parker, L C; Rhoades, J R; Shaw, J; Symes, F R; (9).

You can also request a photocopy of papers that survive on your uncle's RNZAF service record through Personnel Archives, New Zealand Defence Force. See here for details: http://www.nzdf.mil.nz/personnel-records/nzdf-archives/

You can also contact me via PM or email on the forum if you should be interested in obtaining either of the books.

Errol

Thanks

Hello,

Your uncle is mentioned in Errol Martyn's "For your tomorrow" volume 1 and volume 3 (page 93) :
    The latter has a short bio : Sgt Trevor Morgan Blakemore was killed in an aircraft accident on 14 November 1942 (Anson). He was a staff pilot with No. 9(O)AFU. He's commemorated on the Runnymede memorial (panel 117). Son of William Henry and Annie Elizabeth Blakemore (née Campion), Sutherlands. There's a portrait of him in The Weekly news 3/2/43.

volume 1 page 270 has details about his loss : Flying Training Command,
    night navigation exercise : base - 25 miles WSW Bardsey Island - 20 miles NE of Point Lynas - Anglesey - Thyl - Conway - base).
    9 (Observers) Advanced Flying Unit, RAF (Penrhos, Caernarvonshire ; satellite at Llandwrog - 25 Group)
    Anson I DJ628 - took off at 0124 from Llandwrog but did not respond to a general recall message sent at 0250 when weather deteriorated. Last heard at 0132, DJ628 was later found to have crashed into the sea about 4 miles NW of Penrhos, killing the five crew. The bodies of three were recovered, while the pilot and another are commemorated on the Runnymede memorial.
    Pilot : NZ413016 Sgt Trevor Morgan BLAKEMORE, RNZAF, age 21, 555 hours.

All credit to Errol.

Others will be able to add the other names of the Anson crew

Joss

Thanks

Errol had just beaten me to it !

Joss

Thanks

He is always doing this! One jump ahead of all of us our Errol.

Well done that man.
    Cheers,
    Digger.

Thanks

Default Grateful Appreciation

Thank you all for your rapid and full response to my enquiry.

It is very much appreciated. A real testament to the wonderful power of the web.

Steve Blakemore

Thanks

Default Sgt Trevor Blakemore RNZAF

Your Uncle and my father were friends in England.
    Here are a couple of entries from his diary:
    Saturday 2/5/42
    We were up at 10 to 6 this morning and made the 6.30 transport into Haverhill. We caught a train from there to another place where we changed again and got on to the mail London line. Arrived in London at 9.53am/. I put my kit hags into the left luggage deposit at Paddington and then Trev. Blakemore and I started to look for an hotel. We were in luck and got in right away at the Strand Palace. It's only 9/6 for Bed and Breakfast and is a marvellous place. We have a room on the 7th floor.
    Sunday 3/5/42
    I lay in till 9.45 this morning and after Trev and I had had breakfast we went down to Trafalgar Square to see if Trev could get a snap of the pigeons. They'd all had a good feed however by that time and there weren't many there. We then caught a bus out to Camden Town and spent the rest of the afternoon at the zoo.
    Wednesday 27/5/42
    Today some of our boys were transferred to the reserve flight which flies from Bibury. I missed out unfortunately. However there are rumours now that we will all be posted very shortly now. Trev Blakemore had been posted to an AOS as a staff pilot. The place is in North Wales. (Phenros.)

Thanks

Dear Brian

It is ANZAC Day here tomorrow so the thoughts of New Zealanders and Australians turn to this who went to war and didn't return.

I found the extracts from your Father's diary both interesting and moving. A very late thank you for posting this.

Regards Steve Blakemore