Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applications for service records during Covid-19 pandemic

Thanks

Default Applications for service records during Covid-19 pandemic

I cannot remember if anyone else has noticed/posted this, but as of 26 March applications for service records can be made online; see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-...id-19-pandemic .

Although I appreciate this advice might have changed no subsequent update has been made.

Brian
    Last edited by CZ_RAF; 4th May 2020 at 10:40.

Thanks

Default Re: Applications for service records during Covid-19 pandemic

Could one of the Moderators change the thread title to Covid-19 please? The Covid-10 was a typo.

Brian
    Last edited by CZ_RAF; 4th May 2020 at 10:40.

Thanks

Hi Brian, thread title corrected.
    But there is still one problem - how can I pay for the service having no possibility of cheque?

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel, and thank you for correcting the thread title. I will try and find out about the payment aspect - I noticed that but forgot to follow it through.

Brian

Thanks

Pavel (Brian),
    There must be a way (either telephone-banking, or sort-code to sort-code internet transfer)? I've used it several times to transfer money to the USA. The only problem is that 'they' (in Cranwell Disclosures) would have to be certain that your money was in their bank account before 'they' would do anything? But it's not rocket science these days! The main problem is that with lock-down, and everybody working from home, how do they get the Service Record from the distant Store to Cranwell so that 'they' can redact most of it before they copy it and send it to you? Again, not an insurmountable problem as my IT sons keep telling me!! But we are dealing with a Govt Ministry here - say no more!!!
    HTH (but I doubt if it will!)
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 4th May 2020 at 11:12. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi

The website states: -

"Nonetheless, please be assured that all queries and requests will be addressed as soon as possible. Where we can retrieve information and send it to you electronically, we will endeavour to do so. In some instances, the information you have requested will be held in paper or microfiche formats only. If this is the case, we will not be able to process your application until we are able to access those records again."

Malcolm

Thanks

I've asked the same question via email regarding the payment process and will report back - if Malcolm doesn't get there first!

Rgds

Jonny

Edit - I have just received the following from Deputy Head FOIA RAF Disclosures:

"Good Afternoon Jonny,

We are currently in the beta testing stages of a wholly online application system which we hope will go live in the near future.

In the short term, if you would like to submit your application to this email address, once your application is registered, we will forward you details so that you can make a direct bank payment.

However, we are currently working remotely and cannot progress any applications at this time. Any applications received will be held pending the government lockdown being lifted.

Kind Regards....."
    Last edited by jonny; 4th May 2020 at 13:34. Reason: Update from RAF Disclosures
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Firstly, gentlemen, I started this thread as it appeared to me that someone was using some common sense - fool that I was. Until then I'd assumed that the standard procedure was unchanged (https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...-elses-records)

Having found the March update by chance it seemed right to publicize it

26 March

Submitting requests during the COVID-19 pandemic

If you can submit your requests by email, we strongly encourage you to do so. While your statutory rights remain unchanged, MOD will not be able to address requests that you may have submitted via the postal service until sites are re-opened and normal service resumes.

We appreciate your patience and understanding at this time, if you will like more information, you may wish to read the ICO’s webpage: data protection and coronavirus: what you need to know.

However there was a subsequent update on 9 April which wasn't triggered when I tried to access 'All updates':

9 April (https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...ervice-records) Text was changed to read

Coronavirus

Due to the measures implemented to prevent the spread of Coronavirus, it is likely to significantly impact on the department’s ability to respond to requests within the legislative time frame.

We will continue to process requests as quickly as possible, where priorities and resources allow.

Thank you for your patience during this time.

No mention of email this time BUT

If one clicks on the link Request Records of Deceased Service Personnel it takes you back to the 26 March update and the recommendation to use email when making an application.

I hope it is not just me, but the words Pig's Ear come to mind.

Brian

Edit: Thanks Jonny, despite the time lapse between our two posts I'd not seen yours when I started this - and had a lunch time snooze.
    Last edited by Lyffe; 4th May 2020 at 14:12.

Thanks

from the distant Store to Cranwell so that 'they' can redact most of it
    Peter, on the redacted information, from all the service records I have applied for, I noticed they redact 'next of kin' name/address, religion information, and a big block on the 'mustering' form, which I don't know what info that is. How essential is that info and would you want it if available ? The 'next of kin' is an 80 year old address for people that are no longer alive, religion we already probably know, so why do they bother ? When they release crews into the AIR 81 series (which I believe they are doing gradually ?), the correspondence enclosed includes the next of kin information any way, which as I said is way of date. I would have liked to write to some of those old addresses for information about their relative I am researching.

Thanks

Hi

I recently (before Covid19) spoke to a member of staff at Cranwell regarding FOI requests and was informed that you can request the 'Mustering' data when you make the request and it will not be redacted.

Malcolm