Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with a strange trade description for LAC George Bateman 535546

Thanks

Default Help with a strange trade description for LAC George Bateman 535546

Hi, I am researching a member of my wife`s family who served in 98 Squadron during WW2. Sadly he was one of many hundreds of lives were lost in the HMT Lancastria incident. I do not have access to his service record and I am trying to ascertain what trade he held.

His name and rank were LAC 535546, George Bateman.

I have the OBR for the Squadron which shows the movement order from Finningley to Chateau Bougon Aerodrome, Nantes in France. He travelled by rail with the bulk of the squadron and the movement order gives the trades of all the personnel.

George was listed as having the trade definition of being F.Wkr. (There is Im sure many unofficial definitions of this) and if this were not an official OBR document I would not be asking this question!

I have scoured all the sources and cannot find anything resembling this identification. Of all the men listed he is the only one of over 270 persons with this trade description, would anyone have an idea of what this could represent? He is listed below that of a Shoe Repr. And above that of a Clk. Accts if that has any relevance!

George was frequently nominated for guard duties.

One final question, would his service number give any indication of approximately when he enlisted?

Many Thanks

The OBR document ref is 27/785 appendix H page 22

Thanks

Default Re: Help with a strange trade description for LAC George Bateman 535546

Hello,

Fabric Worker.

Col

3. The Following User Says Thank You to COL BRUGGY For This Useful Post:

Brian Wakelin (4th July 2020)

Thanks

Hi Brian

Fabric Worker ?

Royal Air Force Weeton was opened as the home of No.8 School of Technical Training on 21st May, 1940 and the Fabric Worker, Parachute Packer, Metal Worker, Mechanical Transport Mechanic and Motor Cyclist Courses were transferred there

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bvs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Possibly "Fabric Worker" (beaten to it)
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeteT For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just to add that if he went to France on Fairey Battle A/C - although it was an 'All Metal' Aircraft - the flying control surfaces were fabric covered and would require repair/patching etc on a fairly regular basis.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bvs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think the trade name originally came from the time when a/c wings and fuselages were covered in doped linen (or similar). The techies will correct me, but I think that there were several a/c, and/or balloons, in regular use in WW2 that might require a Fabric Worker!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Resmoroh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Many thanks bvs, would you have any notion of when George may have enlisted from his by his service number?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Wakelin View Post
    Many thanks bvs, would you have any notion of when George may have enlisted from his by his service number?
    No Idea Brian but I am sure Peter Davies or a couple of other forum members will be able to nail it fairly accurately for you.

rgds baz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    I think the trade name originally came from the time when a/c wings and fuselages were covered in doped linen (or similar). The techies will correct me, but I think that there were several a/c, and/or balloons, in regular use in WW2 that might require a Fabric Worker!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Even up to fairly recent times many aircraft still had fabric control surfaces,presumably to keep the component weight down to help with 'Balancing' the control surface.
    But yes there were still a/c during WW2 with high fabric content - for example Tiger Moth Wings and many other older design aircraft.

Thanks

Thank you, It would seem to me that George may have been in the service before tho outbreak of WW2 at that time I believe the squadron had "Hind" aircraft which I understand were bi-planes and perhaps had fabric skinned wings?