Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VE Day 2020

Thanks

Default VE Day 2020

75th Anniversary of Victory in Europe: VE Day 8 May 2020

In place of the big public events that had been planned in the United Kingdom for such a significant anniversary,
    given the current restrictions made necessary by the COVID19 Pandemic, special arrangements are being put in place to mark the occasion.

HM Queen Elizabeth II will give an address
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ns-remembrance

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission's virtual remembrance plans:
    https://www.cwgc.org/learn/news-and-...nce-for-ve-day

The VE75 organisation's much modified set of suggestions for activities:
    https://www.veday75.org

Some other UK marks of remembrance:
    An "empty" Albert Hall Concert
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-day-vera-lynn
    An RAF veteran's fund-raising walk
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...d-talbot-house

As yet I see no news of any National VE 75 or VP 75 displays on the Australian War Memorial site (awm.gov.au) nor on the Dept of Veterans Affairs site (dva.gov.au).

Perhaps by mid August conditions here and in Commonwealth countries (and around the world) may be rather better, so that the 75th Anniversary of Victory in the Pacific (VP Day 15 August 2020)
    may be observed with more like the usual gatherings and customs.

How well I remember the great VP 60 anniversary flypast in Canberra: a memorable sunny afternoon event as the public old and young gathered in mass crowds on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin to witness a large, loud, low and pyrotechnically satisfying flypast of wonderful size and variety.

Wishing you all well, however and wherever you choose to remember.

Don Clark
    Canberra
    Last edited by Don Clark; 5th May 2020 at 08:40.
    Toujours propos

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Clark For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (5th May 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: VE Day 2020

Well said Don, perhaps by VP Day we can have our own VC19 Day.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

I understand why, but I've always found it disappointing that we've chosen to celebrate VE Day rather than VJ Day (which I see appears to have become VP so as not to offend J?), when our blokes and our allies had 3 more months of fighting and dying to get through.
    "Forgotten Fourteenth" syndrome again.
    Ian

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ianh For This Useful Post:

Jagan (5th May 2020)

Thanks

The VP vs VJ contention re-surfaces at intervals.

This is all I have to say about it:

In Australia it has been Victory in the Pacific Day, VP Day, from the day it was first observed.

See the Australian War Memorial article here: https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/encyclopedia/vp_day

And their discussion of the contention here: https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/ency...ia/vp_day/name

A simple fact check in any search engine finds these references.

Don Clark
    Canberra
    Last edited by Don Clark; 5th May 2020 at 20:20.
    Toujours propos

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Clark For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (5th May 2020)

Thanks

Thanks Don.
    I never knew that!
    From here (UK), I've only ever heard it called VJ Day.
    But my comment of VE or VJ/VP still stands.
    Ian

Thanks

Thanks Alex, John: appreciated.

My original post focussed on VE Day 2020 as the 75th Anniversary, now only two days away, is the last really major anniversary of that particular event that a good many of us are likely to see.

As for VP Day 2020, another 75th anniversary, that's a topic for another post nearer the time (and when perhaps conditions will be better).
    Again, just a little searching on VP75 (or VJ75) will find the extent of planning (and re-planning thanks to COVID19) already in-hand for that event. There are plenty.

Back on topic: VE Day 75. Perhaps other readers from elsewhere may still wish to add something about VE75 plans in their own countries.

Don Clark
    Canberra
    Last edited by Don Clark; 6th May 2020 at 01:55.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

I loaded up a test photo from the CWGC website and confirmed a wee problem.
    They ask you for the link to the casualty entry and theres a separate field for you to enter the casualties name, then another field for extra details.
    The first two fields don't seem to be loading hence most photos are displaying at the moment with no names, and the details people enter usualy leave out the name again, so there are lots of uncle's uploaded but no way of knowing who they are for now.

I've had the message passed to CWGC and they are looking at it. Filed under aging gent complaining maybe.

Great resource but needs a tweak or two.

Rant over
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

We had a full blown VE75 day being arranged to remember all the POW's who at last were finding their way home. This was being run by four of us from a Facebook page "StalagVIIIB/344 Lamsdorf and was to be held at RAF Cosford on the 9th so that it wouldn't clash with the general VE day celebrations. This however has had to be held over but we do intend to hold it as a POW75+1 day same time next year. Instead we are running a number of videos on the page over the next four days.

Rick

Thanks

Don, there is no better way to celebrate something like VE day than to hear the massed sounds of Merlins coming from a Lancaster, and Spifires and Hurricanes. Brings a lump to my throat every time. Unfortunately all the airshows that i might have attended have fallen victim to this pandemic, at least until July/August. No Duxford, no RIAT, no Farnborough, no Bruntingthorpe, early Shuttleworth shows, etc. I was going to the VE Day celebration at Nene Valley Railway this weekend, Steam Locomotives, ww2 bands, stalls etc, would have been a great day, but thats been cancelled also. Thats been pushed on to August now, same weekend as the Eastbourne Airshow, I think a lot of stuff is going to get crammed into August.

Thanks

Funny that VP day cropped up as I always thought VJ was not the best description as by the same token VE day should have been VG day. It is sad that here in the UK VJ is not celebrated with the same vigour as VE day, although I suspect in some case it is. However is is easy to understand why VE day is more important to the population in general as the war in Europe affected all those at home in the UK as well so it was very much a joint civilian and military celebration.

VE75 was celebrated in our street by a multiple front garden talk over the fence or wall whilst at the same time keeping a distance. We even had The last Post played on a trumpet by a neighbour, along with other well known tunes. My wife put up a display in our porch window of her father's naval career.

Unlike the VE50 we didn't get a low level flypast by a P-38 Lightning, which sadly crashed the following year, although we did get a Spitfire fly by earlier in the day - the first sighting of the local ones since February and in a normal summer an almost daily sight.