Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for ORBs for 582 Squadron 1944 Little Staughton

Thanks

Default Looking for ORBs for 582 Squadron 1944 Little Staughton

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but I have been told that perhaps I could find additional information concerning my father's squadron, 582, based out of Little Staughton in 1945.
    My father was RCAF, flew Lancaster III's and was shot down in 1944 Dec 03. I have been offered wonderful assistance by the Lancaster Archive Forum who also suggested I look in the RAF Forum for further info. Does anyone in the membership happen to have any ORBs for this mission?
    December 3, 1944
    Take off 0804 Little Staughton. Part of a force of 187 aircraft - 183 Lancasters, 4 Mosquitoes, tasked in support of the Allied armies to attack Heimbach. Unable to locate the aiming point the Master Bomber ordered the raid aborted. 1 aircraft, 0.53 percent of the force were lost - 1 Lancaster. The aircraft was shot down by a fighter and crashed. S/L Grillage is buried in the Venray War Cemetery.
    Tail number was PB629. Apparently dad barely has time to kick the tires before it was shot down!
    Thank you to any assistance provided.

Thanks

Peter,
    I have the Dec ORB in front of me, i will scan and send later tonight.

Thanks

Thank you Alan. This is great info. I really appreciate the assistance of the forum. Are there many crew from WWII still around to participate in this wonderful forum?

Thanks

Peter send me your email address and give me a day or so to plow through the 582 and the Little Staughton ORBs and see what I can find. I can also check a few books. The 582 Squadron Roll of Honour says they were attacked by a ME 262 and that the crew were rescued by Americans but Grillage was killed in the exchange of fire.
    http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Bedfordshire/LittleStaughtonBookofRemembrance.html
    Regards
    Dave Wallace
    Last edited by David Wallace; 5th March 2009 at 20:09.

Thanks

Peter - You may want to get a copy of Sean Feast's excellent book Master Bombers as it has 5 or 6 references to Art Green who I am guessing is your Father. It has an entire chapter on Bill Hough who was wireless operator on the crew and describes the incident in detail. It also says S/L Grillage was the gunnery leader and was filling in for the regular gunner who had accidentally shot himself cleaning a pistol the day before. The book also has a picture of Art Green.
    I still have to look through the ORBs.
    Dave Wallace

Thanks

Hello David,

I have an interest in Little Staughton ORB too, but for September and October 1945.
    Do you have it ?

Alain.

Thanks

Sorry Alain, I only have the Little Staughton ORB Covering from May to the end of December 1944.
    Dave

Thanks

Thanks David. This is more fantasic info. I will send my e-mail. The book referenced is not available at Chapters, is it out of print already do you think? Is the book specifically concerning the 582 squadron?

Thanks

Hi Peter
    The book is about 582 Squadron but would be of interest to anyone interested in the Pathfinders. Rather than a Squadron history it is the stories of the Pathfinder crews and their experiences in the air and is very well written. The portion on your father and his crew is very detailed and tells quite a bit about them and their operations. The book describes your father as "a talented pre-war pilot and a popular skipper". It has quite a good picture of him alone and then one with his crew. You can get it at Amazon.ca
    http://www.amazon.ca/Master-Bombers-Experiences-Pathfinder-1944-1945/dp/1906502013/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236344411&sr=8-3
    It is a recent book, published in June 2008.
    I have found around 20 operations with 582 and will email you those ORB pages today. Let me know if I missed any ops. There are also some details on an operation Manna food drop he did on Rotterdam and a couple of of trips picking up POWs.
    Obviously the author interviewed your Dad's wireless operator Bill Hough at length and you may be able to track down more details.
    Regards
    Dave

Thanks

Default ORBS 582 Squadron, 1.4.44-19.10.44

Can anyone supply these? My father was F/Lt Charles Chetham 122982, WOp/AG, Pathfinder Force, and was stationed at Little Staughton from 1.4.44 to 19.10.44, during which time he was awarded the DFC.

I have details of his time with 97 Squadron previous to this, but wish to fill in the gaps in his wartime history.