Thread: Crew of David Harry Pratt (1894446) in 625 Squadron

Thanks

Default Crew of David Harry Pratt (1894446) in 625 Squadron

My Grandfather David H Pratt flew as a wireless operator with 625 Squadron in the latter stages of the war. I'm looking for any further information about his crew he flew with:
    • Edmund David Zala (152362) - Pilot, believe he was a career RAF man, appears in the Gazette in the 60s having received the Air Force Cross. Believe he died 2009.
    • Reginald Alexander Poulton (1804918) - Flight Engineer. The only member of his crew that I can't find to have died.
    • Lawrence Hampson (1625746) - Air Bomber. Believed to have died in 2010.
    • Alfred Cuthbert Bellis (1653734) - Navigator. Possibly died in 1972.
    • John Archibald Bown (1853391) - Air Gunner. According to the Aircrew Association died in 2011, but the ACA proved to be a dead end though. Mentioned in Dispatches in 1953.
    • Edmund George Brown (3033610) - Air Gunner. Possibly died in 1987.

If anyone has any tips about how to trace their family members, or find out what happened to them after 625 Squadron disbanded that would be much appreciated. (Apologies if this is not how to do this, as this is my first post on the forum).

Thanks

Default Re: Crew of David Harry Pratt (1894446) in 625 Squadron

Have you done the normal searches for your grandfather, got his service records from the MoD (you are entitled for free as family), gone to the National Archives to get the squadron diaries (ORB's) where his name would be mentioned on the missions, etc ?
    Apologies if this is not how to do this, as this is my first post on the forum
    you done it absolutely spot on.

Here's a page from a book I have, sorry its a bit fuzzy

Thanks

Sorry, cyflyer1, but you are in error - a fee is payable. The fee is only waived for parents, spouse or civil partner - see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-...vice-personnel and scroll down to administration fee. I had to pay for my father's service record - not that I begrudged it.

Brian

Thanks

Brian , on the form, it says 'next of kin', and lists, son/daughter, grandchild.....

https://assets.publishing.service.go...part1_v6.2.pdf

Thanks

cyflyer1,

Brian is correct. You need to read the form that you have provided the link to, sir:

"The administration fee of 30 will be waived for applications from those who were the spouse or civil partner of the subject at the time of death (or parent if there was no spouse or civil partner)."
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

The third paragraph of the form reads:

The administration fee of 30 will be waived for those who were the spouse or civil partner of the subject at time of death (or parent if there was no spouse or civil partner).

The list of Next of Kin below the Applicant Details section is intended for any other relation to request an unredacted service record, or who is authorised to give permission for an unrelated person to seek an unredacted record. For example, if I requested the service record of your father without contacting you, I would only receive a redacted version, but if you gave me permission by using this form I would receive the complete document. It would obviously be necessary for me to send you the form for your signature and other details. Your nephew/nice could not give permission if you or your parent were still alive. Not withstanding all this everyone on the list, other than the surviving spouse/.civil partner would be required to pay the 30 fee.

There have actually been instances of this on the forum where the nearest surviving relative would not give permission even though a relative further down the list was quite relaxed about the request.

Brian

Edit: You just beat me to it, Jonny, thank you.

Thanks

Yep, I've got his service records and the ORBs - I spent an enjoyable few hours at the National Archives researching his RAF history. Next steps for me now are researching his crew.

Thanks

Hi
    Have you looked at "Lancaster at War Vol 4". Unlike the previous 3 Vols this seems to be devoted entirely to 625 Sqn and was written by a Sqn Member of the time. It has a full Sqn photo in front of a Lancaster and may well have a list(possibly partial) of personnel plus other references to Sqn members. I know of it as I was loaned a copy some months ago by a friend who's father was a navigator on the Sqn from it's creation in mid-44
    Regards
    Dick