Thread: F/O SC Haralambides DFC 7 Squadron PFF

Thanks

Default F/O SC Haralambides DFC 7 Squadron PFF

I am researching a small number of Cypriots that were with Bomber Command for a book and magazine project. One of them was F/O Stephanos Haralambides, Flight Engineer. He completed 51 ops with 7 Sqn PFF. He and his crew were killed on the night of 4th April 1945. He served with a number of crews during his time, and I am hoping that someone from the families of one those chaps might have a photo of that crew, that I am desparately seeking. Any contact I will be eternally grateful. These are the main crews he served with as FE:

KIA 4/4/45 (15 missions)
    F/O Wadham BSH (pilot)
    F/L Halkyard RC (Nav)
    F/Sgt Ellis HW (Bomb Aimer)
    P/O Evans HT (W/O)
    F/Sgt Coyne EK (M/U)
    F/Sgt Mnns H (Rear G)

(26 missions)
    F/Lt McKechnie DS (pilot)
    F/O Leatherdale F (Nav)
    F/Sgt Denly KT (Bomb Aimer)
    F/Sgt Payne B (W/O)
    P/O Wilkins CE (M/U)
    F/Sgt Hayes J (Rear G)

W/Cdr Cox RW (pilot)
    F/O Leatherdale F (Nav)
    F/Sgt Denly KT (Bomb Aimer)
    F/Sgt Payne B (W/O)
    P/O Wilkins CE (M/U)
    F/Sgt Hayes J (Rear G)
    S/Ldr White MF (visual marker)

W/Cdr Alexander N (pilot)
    F/Lt Dawson ME (Nav)
    F/O Norman EH (Bomb Aimer)
    W/O Denham AE (W/O)
    F/Sgt Wilks C (M/U)
    P/O White RA (Rear G)
    F/O Kentley CR (v/marker)

W/Cdr Walbourne D (pilot & sqn CO)
    Major Millock (2nd pilot)
    P/O Sharp EJ (Nav)
    F/L Johnson SH (Bomb Aimer)
    P/O Cox FR (W/O)
    S/Ldr Dixon (M/U)
    F/O Rock BJ (Rear G)

W/Cdr Fordham JW (pilot)
    F/Sgt Renoldson GA (Nav)
    S/Ldr Rutter L (Bomb Aimer)
    P/O Hill NW (W/O)
    F/Sgt Wilks C (M/U)
    W/O Starling S (Rear G)

F/Lt Lewis H (pilot)
    P/O Stoneham WA (Nav)
    S/Ldr Rutter LW (Bomb Aimer)
    F/O White RC (W/O)
    F/O Bryant WF (M/U)
    F/O Young LC (Rear G)

F/Lt Fray AC (pilot)
    P/O Roberts GR (Nav)
    F/Lt Sadler AP (Bomb Aimer)
    F/Lt Baser WJ (W/O)
    W/O Marshal RH (M/U)
    P/O Hall EA (Rear G)

405 Sqn RCAF (3 missions)
    F/O Brice FTS (pilot)
    F/O Glendenning A (Nav)
    F/O McDonald MJ (Bomb Aimer)
    P/O Wilson HW (W/O)
    F/O Gray JG (gunner)
    P/O Todd EG (gunner)

Thanks

Default Re: F/O SC Haralambides DFC 7 Squadron PFF

cyflyer1,
    Stephanos Constantinos Haralambides
    Is at TNA AIR 78/69/9 Image 41 R4C2 as 1850902 (and the only Haralambides I can find in AIR 78).
    1850902(OR No), 187235(Off No from CWGC), or Haralambides(Cmd, Promotions, or DFC) will not come up in the LG.
    Presumably although Cyprus was in the Brit Empire at the time, the Family Name indicates Greek antecedents – and Greece was occupied by the Axis at the time?
    The Cyprus High Commission in UK (www.cyprusinuk.com,) might be able to give you a ‘steer’?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 9th May 2020 at 12:05. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter, thanks, thats him 187235 commisioned , the other number pre commision, I have everything from TNA that there is on him, including the DFC citation, which would not show up on any NA list nor is it gazetted. It was a non immedate and awarded postumously to his widow in Cyprus in 1950, Only from his service history did I get a reference number for his citation and found it. His file hasn't been released in the Air 81 series yet. He was Greek Cypriot, although the DFC correspondence has him as a "Greece' national, on the service history he is a 'British' citizen as were all Cypriots at the time, a minor mystery that I'll solve if I ever trace some family. The High Commisions haven't a clue about these things, and they would refer you to the veterans office in Nicosia, and even the veterans dept in Nicosia which I visited (which basically holds lists of the CVR Cyprus volunteer regiment of the army) had no detail barring a very very poor copy of a copy portrait photograph, so I know what he looks like, at least. I lack good quality photos of him and his crew.

Andrew

Thanks

Hello

I have portraits of the members of the Brice crew. They only flew 3 ops with 405 Squadron. They came from 408 Squadron, and went back to it after this short spell with the PFF. They were killed in action during the night 12/13 June 1944, bombing Cambrai marshalling yard. They crashed in the village of Tilloy-les-Cambrai, where they are buried in the WW1 Canada cemetery. I organised the unveling of a mémorial plaque for them in June 2004.

I'd be interested in documents you may have about this spell of Haralambides with 405 Squadron.

Joss

Thanks

Joss, hi and thanks for your response. I also saw that the Brice crew were killed a few weeks later. Unfortunately, I have nothing else on his time with 405 Sqn, I saw from his service history the reference to 405 Sqn and went into the ORBs to see those three missions. Does the crew portraits include Haralambides ?

Andrew
    Last edited by cyflyer1; 9th May 2020 at 21:35.

Thanks

Hello

I have individual portraits, from the NAC files, but I have also gathered some pictures of several airmen together. I had several family members coming over to pay tributes to their parent buried in Tilloy.

I need to check my file, as there was one airman in some pictures, about whom the families who gave me the pictures weren't sure of. Do you have a portrait of Stephanos, to compare ?

That crew member was nicknamed "Kiwi", according to some correspondance kept by the McDonald family. He may have been Sgt D.M. Gray -624089 ?), their original flight engineer, from No. 1679 Conversion Unit, when they were posted to 408 on 26 October 1943.

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 10th May 2020 at 16:03.

Thanks

Joss, I've sent you an email with photo to compare. NAC (National Archives Canada ?)

Thanks

Hello

Yes, National Archives of Canada. I've received your e-mail and will reply to it, but clearly "kiwi" is not Stephanos Haralambides. I suspect the picture was taken during their first period with 408 (October 43 - February 1944). Later their flight engineer was Adam Mabon, R.A.F..

Joss

Thanks

A couple of Haralambides' mission entries from the squadron ORB's had me wondering, and admiring, 20/12/44, flying with W/CDR Walbourn as pilot, and he was the squadron CO, PB490 as Master Bomber, "starboard inner failed after tale-off", yet they completed the mission ? Was this normal, to lose an engine after T/O yet continue ? Am I reading this correctly ? Would it be that the Master Bomber was indispencible even on three engines ?

And on 5/1/45, PB454, "one of the bombs hit by flak and exploded under the a/c", whow, it is amazing the a/c survived an explosion...

Andrew