Thread: Bombphoon Operations

Thanks

Default Bombphoon Operations

Researching 182 Sqn dive-bombing operations in Aug 1943 and am interested in how it was done. Were there set procedures for dive-bombing ops or was it an adhoc op that depended on cloud height, weather, surface to air fire ..? In particular,

(a) was there a prescribed range of altitudes from which dive-bombing started?
    (b) was there a prescribed range of altitudes for pulling out of the dive?
    (c) at what angle would Typhoons dive?
    (d) when diving - and approaching 520 mph - would Typhoon pilots hear any increase in noise in the cockpit?

Really appreciate all assistance.

John Dean

Thanks

Default Re: Bombphoon Operations

Both the CFE and AFDU produced documents on fighter-bomber tactics. I used both these and various other sources to write Chapter 12 - Operational Techniques and Tactics in Vol 4 of '2nd TAF' which would answer most of your questions. Meanwhile some quick answers.
    (a) 8000ft was ideal but depended on the circumstances which you list above
    (b) 4000ft
    (c) 45-60 degrees
    (d) no idea!

Thanks

At 520mph the cockpit noise would probably be a little louder,but diving into heavily defended targets I doubt the pilots would really notice,they would be concentrating on too many other things to worry about the noise - inc Flak,avoiding other a/c,trying to line up the target and watching/formating on section leader if inexperienced.

Thanks

bvs, Chris

Thank you - very much - for this.

Chris

Libraries open here next Tues. So will see if I can get Vol 4 then. In meantime, just bought Kindle version of Typhoon Wings of 2nd TAF 1943 -1945.

John Dean