Thread: Paul Zigler Danish pilot, info wanted

Thanks

Default Paul Zigler Danish pilot, info wanted

Any one got flying career info on Paul Zigler, or Poul, of the Danish naval airforce in WW2? A photograph would be appreciated. I know he escaped to Scotland (Helensburgh) after the German invasion and later, I believe, joined our Fleet air Arm

Thanks

Robin

Have you seen this page?

http://www.danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?id=176

Regards

Simon

Thanks

thanks Simon for prompt rely. Yes I have seen this link but that is all I know about him, except he flew to the Faroes on a mission in 1940

Thanks

Default Re: Paul Zigler Danish pilot, info wanted

Robin
    What do you want to know? I might be able to help, but had not seen this thread.

From my book "Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom'
    Fleet Air Arm

Following the dissolution of the Danish Army and Navy in August 1943, two pilots from the Naval Air Service escaped to Britain and served in the Fleet Air Arm.
    Poul Zigler had joined the Navy in 1929 and, in addition to a number of assignments at sea during the 1930s, he trained as an observer and, later, a Britain’s Victory, 208 Denmark’s Freedom pilot in the Naval Air Service. On 29 August 1943, Zigler managed to escape to Sweden, and subsequently on to Britain in March 1944. Henning Valentiner, two years younger than Zigler, had followed a similar career path, becoming a Navy pilot in 1938. Along with several other officers, Valentiner was detained by the Germans until 22 October, following the dissolution of the Navy, but managed to escape to Sweden five days later. Valentiner proceeded to Britain on 4 May 1944. Both Zigler and Valentiner trained, although not at the same time, at the Royal Naval College in Greenwich, and were appointed lieutenants in the Royal Navy Voluntary Reserve. They proceeded to 780 Squadron for a conversion course. After completing this course, they were posted to 782 Squadron, Royal Navy: a communication squadron based at RNAS Donibristle (HMS Merlin) in Scotland. Zigler arrived on 29 May 1944 and remained with the squadron for thirteen months, where he carried out more than 900 hours of flying. [21] Valentiner arrived on 1 September and flew approximately 500 hours, before being posted to the SHAEF Mission to Denmark as Staff Officer Air in April 1945. After the war, both pilots returned to Denmark and the Danish Navy. [22]

21. FLYHIS: 2178.
    22. Ancker, De danske militære flyverstyrkers udvikling 1910–1940, Vol. 2,1 (2001), 185–188.
    The above link suppled by Simon is from my website.
    Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Default Re: Paul Zigler Danish pilot, info wanted

Mikkel, thank you for your feedback. I am researching Zigler's flight to Helensburgh, Scotland, with another He 8 and subsequent flight to Thorshaven in time for Churchill's announcement of a British occupation. Anything more on these two He 8s would be appreciated,