Thread: Lancaster LM658 100 Squadron 13th August 1944

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Lancaster LM658 100 Squadron 13th August 1944

Hi, I am researching Robert Stanley Williams who was killed on a raid to BRUNSWICK on the 12/13th August 1944, there were 8 in the crew, but I can only find 4 of them on the CWGC database, below is the list of the crew and the ones with a bracket and details are the ones I have found, but I want to tell Robert's story, his name is on our local WW2 War Memorial at Hawarden, Flintshire.

Lanc *111 “W” LM568 F/L PASTON-WILLIAMS H. Captain
    F/L HOLLAND. C. 2nd Pilot (115325 - Pilot - Christopher)
    Sgt. DOWNIE J.A. F/E
    P/O HOOD G. NAV.
    P/O RAMSDEN B. A/B (55792 – Air Bomber - Benjamin)
    F/S WATTS L.R. WO/AIR (1316752 – Wireless Operator - Lawrence Roy)
    Sgt. WILLIAMS R.S. MU/G (1502966 – Air Gunner – Robert Stanley)
    CAN.J.26845 F/O DAVID B.A. R/G
    I am wondering if they were taken prisoner, or if their bodies were never found. Any help would be gratefully received.
    Kindest regards, stay safe,
    Mavis Williams
    Last edited by Jagan; 16th May 2020 at 19:16.

Thanks

Default Re: LM.568 100 Squadron 13th August 1944 (Moved)

Hello Mavis

I think you may have mis-typed the Lancaster serial? It's an easy mistake to make, but it should be LM658, and there's a website here with lot of details:

http://www.lancaster-lm658.co.uk/lan...658-crew-list/

If you click on the individual crew names, there are some very detailed biographies for them. Here's the one for R. S. Williams:

http://www.lancaster-lm658.co.uk/lan...nley-williams/

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon, I cannot thank you enough, I wanted to find out what happened to his mates as they had flown together before. I have the Operations Record Book and the number on there was LM568, I have tried to cut and paste from it, but cannot get it on the reply. I cannot add documents. However, I am glad you saw through the error of the typist when he or she was typing it out. It is something I will have to remember if I cannot find out more about other mysteries.
    Anyway, I am truly grateful and I am sure Robert's family and perhaps, if his crew's family sees it, they may be glad of your expertise as well.
    Kindest regards,
    Mavis

Thanks

Hi Simon, The links you gave me were incredible, thank you so much, there is so much on and they also link to 100 Squadron. I have written to the author, Mr. A. J. Barrow, to ask permission to use some of his photo's etc., making sure I credit him and also giving links to the different websites, specially the story of Gerald Hood who was executed by the Germans, he was a member of the crew of LM658, his story is stunning and so sad.
    Thanks again,
    Mavis

Thanks

Default Re: Lancaster LM658 100 Squadron 13th August 1944

Hi Mavis,

According to Theo Boitenís Nachtjagd War Diaries they were shot down by Fw Robert Koch of 6./NJG1 for his 7th victory the aircraft crashed north of Enschede at 01.05hrs. He would be made a pow when he was shot down by 409 Sqn Mosquito near Peer in Belgium on 7/8 October 1944 with his victories at 7.

Regards,

John.