Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avro Lancaster technical question

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Default Re: Avro Lancaster technical question

Pavel,

There are several references to Lancaster trailing aerials in the following:

http://jproc.ca/ve3fab/lancaster_ele...s_fit_ww2.html

And here.... https://www.qsl.net/pe1ngz/airforce/...equipment.html

And here: http://bayo-hunter.blogspot.com/2017...g-antenna.html

The last one shows some of the lead beads that helped deploy the cable and stabilize its flightpath behind and below the aircraft.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 27th May 2020 at 04:00.

Thanks

Thank you Robert.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David Duxbury View Post
    Jim,
    Question already answered in what I would consider a definitive manner (above posts).
    David D
    Roger! Sorry. I still would like to identify forward directed “pipe” directly beneath the pilot on the port side of the fuselage and above the forward section of the bomb door. I now realize realize it is not the same “tube” that Pavel references. KB865 has that tube and the earlier KB721 does not have this feature. I think it’s a pitot tube but I’m not altogether certain.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 27th May 2020 at 14:37.

Thanks

The orifice of a pitot tube is normally positioned to face the oncoming fluid flow - in this case the airflow. It should also be positioned such that the airflow it is measuring is least disturbed by the body of the aircraft. Pitot tubes are normally in a well forward position (see the probe in pix of the Met Research Flight C-130 "Snoopy"), and the distance from pitot tube to display instrument should be as short as possible!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    PS the "Peruvian nose-flute music" connected to pitot calculations is fearsome!!!!!!!!!!!
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
    Roger! Sorry. I still would like to identify forward directed “pipe” directly beneath the pilot on the port side of the fuselage and above the forward section of the bomb door. I now realize realize it is not the same “tube” that Pavel references. KB865 has that tube and the earlier KB721 does not have this feature. I think it’s a pitot tube but I’m not altogether certain.

Jim
    Hi Jim
    The Pitot tube originally was at the nose - later it was moved to the fuselage side as you noticed in the pics.

rgds baz

B.1
    The original aircraft were produced with Rolls-Royce Merlin engines and SU carburetors. Minor details were changed throughout the production series such as the pitot head design which was changed from being on a long mast at the front of the nose to a short fairing-mounted probe on the side of the fuselage under the cockpit. Production aircraft had Merlin 22 and 24 engines.