Thread: Survived 3 days in a dingy- G Hardy RNZAF

Thanks

Default Survived 3 days in a dingy- G Hardy RNZAF

Following the lead of a similar thread, I wonder if anyone can help identifying the following airman, G Hardy possibly RNZAF. I have this from a newspaper article dated 07/04/1943

"Warrant Officer G. Hardy, a New Zealander serving with the same squadron to which Sergeant A. S. Fletcher D.F.M. of Wellington Lodge, Littleborough, is attached, gave a short talk during the evening on the good work Bomber Command is doing and what it hopes to do in the near future… … … Warrant Officer hardy was surprised to find himself figuring on a photograph entitled “Bombing up a Wellington” which is included in the collection of photographs and equipment on view there. He has good reason to remember the occasion when this photograph was taken, for on the ensuing flight over Germany his ‘plane was badly shot up and Warrant Officer Hardy and his colleagues spent 70 hours in a dinghy before being rescued.”

I'm keen to know what unit he was with at the time of his dinghy escapade and what unit he was with in April 1943.

Many thanks
    Daz

Thanks

Default Re: Survived 3 days in a dingy- G Hardy RNZAF

Only G HARDY from NZ that I can locate is NZ40935 George HARDY, Air Observer (NZ trained) who sailed for the UK 14/9/40, and flew operationally with 75 (NZ) Sqdn January - August 1941, then with an OTU, sailed to Canada for pilot training July 1943 to March 1944 (commissioned as P/O 10/3/44), but as with so many others in this situation, his progression was slowed by the embarrassing glut of aircrew clogging up the operational training units in the UK and never managed to reach the OTU stage before war ended, rtd to NZ October 1945. He COULD have been the G HARDY mentioned above, but cannot say for certain.
    David D

Thanks

David

Many thanks for your reply, I'll have a look through to see f can watch the ditching with his time on 75 Squadron.

Daz

Thanks

Hi Daz,

https://www.nzsappers.org.nz/wp-cont...03/NZatWar.pdf

p. 37, Sgt. W.A.N. Hardy, New Zealander, Wanganui (W.A.N./W.A.M. not G.)

Probably not him:

LONDON, April 12.
    The air search and rescue organisation sent out a Walrus which picked up the crew of a New Zealand Stirling bomber almost immediately after they had crashed in the Channel while returning from bombing Frankfurt.

https://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/1...irling-stories

Regards

Mojmir
    Last edited by vrajm; 21st May 2020 at 06:57.

Thanks

Sadly I don't think either of those are a match. I guess I'll have to wait until I can get Fletcher's service record and see which units he served with.

many thanks

Daz