Thread: Flt Lt W R Ireland DFC, 576 Sqn 1944

Thanks

Default Flt Lt W R Ireland DFC, 576 Sqn 1944

Good morning all!
    Could anyone please direct me to the recommendation and citation for the DFC awarded to 576 Sqn pilot WR Ireland RAFVR in 1944?

i know of many other awards (DFC, DFM particularly) awarded to the officers and airmen of 576, and have citations for some (mainly from the LG) but would love to complete my records with the citations for all!

thanks in advance gentlemen!

Matt
    576 Sqn Digital Archive
    ’Keeping 576 Alive’

Thanks

Default Re: Flt Lt W R Ireland DFC, 576 Sqn 1944

Matt

There's a pretty detailed biography from the Westminster Bank on a family tree on ancestry.co.uk, which also has some photos of him in R.A.F. uniform. Another family tree has photo him in a group in front of an Airspeed Oxford.

The Westminster Bank article has the following:

War broke out after Ron commenced working in the bank, and at the then minimum age of twenty Ron volunteered for aircrew service in the Royal Air Force. Accepted into the Air Force, Ron did 'general duties' prior to going to aircrew training school. As all ex-service personnel will tell you, 'general duties' covers multitude of sins.
    Having completed his training and received his wings, Ron was immediately seconded into training for the next two years, teaching recruits to fly twin engined aircraft.
    Ron then trained for four-engined aircraft and commenced his tour of operations in May, 1944, flying Lancaster bombers. On D-Day he was engaged in bombing coastal batteries and flew over the armada as it assembled prior to crossing the channel.
    On completion of his tour of operations Ron was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

He emigrated to Australia in 1958, and died there in February 1999 aged 78.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Default Re: Flt Lt W R Ireland DFC, 576 Sqn 1944

Thanks Simon!
    As you might have seen in the FB group I’m now in contact with Ireland’s family in Australia; my dad flew on many of the same raids, including the pre D-Day raid on Crisbecq gun battery.
    the info you gave me is very useful indeed, mate!
    could you also find time to send me a copy of Jim’s complete logbook for the Sqn Archive please mate? Cheers!

Really appreciate your response to my post!

Quote Originally Posted by wwrsimon View Post
    Matt

There's a pretty detailed biography from the Westminster Bank on a family tree on ancestry.co.uk, which also has some photos of him in R.A.F. uniform. Another family tree has photo him in a group in front of an Airspeed Oxford.

The Westminster Bank article has the following:

War broke out after Ron commenced working in the bank, and at the then minimum age of twenty Ron volunteered for aircrew service in the Royal Air Force. Accepted into the Air Force, Ron did 'general duties' prior to going to aircrew training school. As all ex-service personnel will tell you, 'general duties' covers multitude of sins.
    Having completed his training and received his wings, Ron was immediately seconded into training for the next two years, teaching recruits to fly twin engined aircraft.
    Ron then trained for four-engined aircraft and commenced his tour of operations in May, 1944, flying Lancaster bombers. On D-Day he was engaged in bombing coastal batteries and flew over the armada as it assembled prior to crossing the channel.
    On completion of his tour of operations Ron was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

He emigrated to Australia in 1958, and died there in February 1999 aged 78.

Regards

Simon